roof felt/batterns/tiles replaced, but BC not notified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a separate job, done at the same time as the flat roof job in the other thread.
Existing bitumen felt was rotten and tiles very aged so contractor advised to replace the lot, and I had him do so.

Have since learned that replacing all the tiles is notifiable, as they want you to upgrade roof insulation at the same time. Is this right, and if so do I have any comebacks on the contractor? - who never made me aware of any such thing. Could it be an issue if I sell the house?

Thanks
B

Sponsored Links
do I have any comebacks on the contractor?
No. It is the homeowners responsibility to ensure that structual or alteration work complies with building standards. You can delegate responsibility to your builder or contractor in advance of them starting work. But, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring your home complies with relevant building standards.

Correct but we all know plenty of builders/roofers are aware and simply don't bother to mention for their own purposes.

Sponsored Links
No you have no chance of claiming anything from the builder for reasons above. If you have a traditional loft, check what depth insulation you have- if it is old and knackered then replace to 300mm depth, if its new and less than 300 then top up. Yes it could be an issue if you sell up (that declaration about works undertaken will prompt conveyancers to look for completion certificates). If the roofer has done a decent job, regularisation should just be a matter of sorting insulation as above and paying the fee. Use it as a learning experience....

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
No.

Other than there is an implied professional obligation to inform the homeowner of Building Regulations.
Yes I thought it seemed a tad unprofessional.

If it is old and knackered then replace to 300mm depth, if its new and less than 300 then top up.
If it's only a matter of redoing the insulation over the joists then that wouldn't be the end of the world.

..and venting, tile suitability etc.
The tiles were replaced like with like and the venting is same as before. Could I not get an indemnity if selling? (Not an option if I contact BC re. Regularisation)

The last house I sold had new tiles and felt to replace old pan tiles without any felt. No BC involvement. No queries relating to the roof during the sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back