Roof leak diagnosis on newish roof

Sponsored Links
That almost looks like a soaker to me :D except its cheap and plastic.
Correct. I was sceptical when the guy at the roofing company showed me. I said that we install soaker gutter thingys underneath the tiles to collet anything that finds its way past the cover flashing (wind blown capillary stuff) and that these plastic thingys are no different (in respect to) a cover flashing. He said that they are shaped so that they press against the surface of the tile thus preventing any wind blown capillary stuff.

Ho hum.

Last edited:
Given the disagreement dislayed here is it any wonder the average joe (like me and the OP) struggle to engage a pro for jobs like this? Not having a pop.
Profiled interlocking tiles do not allow any sideways movement of water because of their shape. However, Marley Moderns, Russels Grampians tiles etc, are flat interlocking tiles and require additional weathering at abutments etc.

After close inspection of those images, I'm wondering whether I can see plastic soaker thingys on the first two courses under the ridge? The ones with the soakers that look like they are bowing upward and away from the tile.:cautious::eek:

Sponsored Links
Good point, Nose - or maybe where some diddley thought it was lead and tried to pull it up :whistle:

Soakers with cover flashing? Why have cover flashing if using soakers?
because they are flat and not profiled, you would only use cover flashing only, if the tiles were profiled and the flashing extended over the first profile.
I would personally treat them as slates and use long soakers, so they overlap above the gauge,then use the cover flashing to hide them where they stick out below each tile which are only single lapped

?.... got to be easier installing a secret gutter, its the proper way, sounds to me like it would use less lead and no lead on the tiles on show.
(can even get it in plastic lengths heaven forbid)

I am sure you are right, but plastic and longevity don't go hand in hand in my experience.
Soakers will never get blocked unlike secret gutters.

I am sure you are right, but plastic and longevity don't go hand in hand in my experience.
Why?
Some plastics are indestructible and are used in the construction industry because of this and will outlive metals by a ridiculous amount.
The older I get and the more demolition work I do, the more I see how my earlier scepticism towards certain building materials was unfounded. Granted, some (cheaper) plastics do become brittle and most fade etc but those that are designed with the elements in mind are surprisingly robust.

Its just my experience Nose and that is based on external plastics, I consider new builds to be anything under 20yrs and that is were I have seen most of the plastic. Granted plastics are developing rapidly and I am changing to if it is made for the job and somebody wants me to use it then I will ( I still can't see me buying plastic soakers ) :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back