Soakers??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a victorian terrace where the party walls extend a foot or so above the roof line so that each house has its own individual roof butted up on each side to the part walls (best attempt yet at a concise description ;) ). There is lead flashing where the roof (concrete tiles) meets the wall, the wall half of which is rendered over with concrete render.

We have a leak down in one corner of the roof and can find no obvious way, internally or externally where the water is getting in. The proposed soultion is to strip off the old lead and replace, ensuring that it is properly cut into the wall and then re-render.

However, some people have suggested that lead soakers should also be installed in additional the flashing to ensure a water tight finish. Obviously there is a cost implication.

What do people think?

Sponsored Links
if you have plain tiles (the small ones) then you should definitely use 150x150mm bent lead soakers at wall abutments.

Hi sam

In response to the problem you are facing, my advice would be to remove the concrete render along the length of the party wall and depending on wich kind of roof covering it is ie slate, plain (small flat tiles), or it be large concrete tiles. If it is slate or plain tiles you need to install soakers at a minimum of 4" (100mm) on top of the tile and a minimum of 3" (75mm) up the wall, then a flashing placed into the wall with a 1" turn in coming over the soakers. The flashing will be either step flashed or straight flashed, the flashing should not exceed the length of 1500mm and lead wedges whould be placed every 450mm then rendered over. if you have concrete tiles you can place a flashing with a minimum of 4" onto the tiles and a minimum water line of 75mm.

Hope this helps if you have any problems contact me and I will send you some scans out of the Lead Sheet Association manuals as it quite hard to explain.

regards

scotty

flashing should not exceed the length of 1500mm and lead wedges whould be placed every 450mm then rendered over. if you have concrete tiles you can place a flashing with a minimum of 4" onto the tiles and a minimum water line of 75mm.

Hey Scotty, many thanks for the info, just a couple of quick questions.

Why should lead lashing not be more than 1500mm in length? What if your roof is longer than that?

I do have large concrete tiles - do you not need soakers with these?

What is a water line?

Sorry for being ignorant!

Sam

Sponsored Links
[quote="sam8364
Hey Scotty, many thanks for the info, just a couple of quick questions.

Why should lead lashing not be more than 1500mm in length? What if your roof is longer than that?

what he means is, you should only fix the flashing runs in 1500mm increments with a 150mm ish overlap. so a 4000mm roof will take three strips of lead.

I do have large concrete tiles - do you not need soakers with these?

you don't generally need soakers with profiled interlocking concrete tiles, though i do recommend using soakers with the flat tiles such as marley moderns.
a water line is rgarded as the vertical uninterrupted part of a stepped flashing.

Sam[/quote]

Ah, suddenly everything becomes clear.

Many thanks all.

Hi all

Sorry for the massive delay posted this a while ago and forgot all about it as you do, and again i am sorry,

noseall is completely right in what he says, flashing in any kind should be only placed in 1500mm lengths I should of made myself a little clearer.

regards

scotty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back