Roof weight question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're getting some quotes to get our roof re tiled at the minute. We currently have clay rosemary roof tiles and I believe they've been there since the house was built 80 years ago.

All the roofers I've had in are recommending double roman concrete tiles. But now I've read that these are a lot heavier than clay.

Is that true or is it generally ok to replace clay tiles with much heavier concrete tiles? I don't want my roof to cave in!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where 1 d r concrete tile is heavier than 1 clay plain tile. per m2 the concrete double roman is lighter. not the other way round.

Just bear in mind how different the house will look with the larger tiles. Many people are spoiling the look of their traditional houses by slapping these big tiles on instead because A: They're cheaper and B: It's so much quicker and easier for the roofer to fit and they make more money by doing it this way.

Sponsored Links
As above , m2 they are cheaper, faster but the rate for fitting is less.. bit like upvc i guess :)

Thanks for replies. I do agree, concrete won't look as good as the original type of tiling but if it does the job, lasts for years and won't make the roof cave in that's the way I'll go.

Have your roofers mentioned that you will need a building regulations application for this type of work? The inspector will then agree if the tiles are suitable for the roof, and you will also need to insulate the loft if its not up to current standards.

You could also select a concrete tile that looks more like the existing.

Some older rafters can start to bow when they have had new concrete tiles. This tends to be gradual process, and by the time it is more noticable, the roofer is long gone. It then gets picked up on a future house sale.

No mention of any applications - I'm not in a conservation area or anything, is it normal to have to do that?

No mention of any applications - I'm not in a conservation area or anything, is it normal to have to do that?

More than normal, it's a statutory requirement - ie law!

This is building regulations, not planning regulations.

It's always a very good test of any builder if they mention what regulations apply to the work that you propose. And if they don't know, or deny, or the more imaginative their response as to why you should not apply, then the greater the reason not to use them.

And the responsibility for non compliance or not applying for approval, is yours as the owner, not the builders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back