Roofing and sofit question

Put a thin plywood with gripfill and some screw/plug under the plinth then staple gun for fitting the upvc T&G of the soffit vent onto the plywood

uk300w.jpg
+
ventedwhite.jpg

You can buy wide upvc sheeting, I have one under my shower ceiling so I can just wipe it instead of painting the ceiling, not cheap though.

Sponsored Links
We have a similar plastic board which Mas' describes, inner facing on a single leaf 3' high wall of a small double glazed porch on the NW face of house ... That wall used to be wet with condensation in low temperatures when kitchen door opened and warm moist air hit it -- Not with the plastic imitation planking tho', I guess tis the air gaps behind the plank effect .. I could not believe it, no trickles at the inner wall base either, it has been dry as bone for several years since fitting, not pretty like wood, but dead functional.

When my roofline was done I too thought about Mas's idea of a firm base to the roofline plastic edging, it would provide good support, the plastic being very flexible will bow etc between the rafters.
The pix below is similar but the angle is obviously suiting the underboard to the plastic and may not reflect 'real life'.

Venting is quite clever, there are several rows of plastic pins which locate and space the plastic off the top edge of the fascia board ( opposite side to the bird comb ), allegedly the pins are too closely packed to allow a queen wasp through (?) but provides full length ventilation. :D
Roofline.jpg

A closer look at the 'venting' just visible at the top edge of the fascia board, (look past the 'end trim' which extends above the top edge of fascia in the pix) air flows up the front face of fascia behind guttering, under the plastic edging which is spaced off the board and through the 'pinned' gap, hopefully into roof space.

Roofline2.jpg

Anyway that's my 'tiny' lot Mick nothing more to offer mate .. good luck !

:D :D :D

Hi all,

Just a quick update for all you who helped with the information.

I managed to do almost all the roof on Saturday but unfortunatly snow prevented me from finishing it today... :(

www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/images/snow.jpg

Does it look ok up to now ? I decided to go for GRP valley to help keep down the cost.

Cheers once again to all who helped.

Mick

Sponsored Links
Not quite,

Trying to fit all this in between work :(

I did fit all the ridge and hip tiles yesterday though

roofnow.jpg

Seems quite a neat job - well done

I hope you put those tiles (Redland Renown?) on at a 100mm headlap to suit roof pitch.

And I'm sure it must be just the photo but I can't see the hip irons.

The sun will help !! :D When it comes... :eek:

Still got the window over? Why not fill the bottom of it and fit a small frame in the top of the opening?

;)

Roofer,

Yes set a 100mm head lap also there are hip irons.

empip, Ordered new window, job for this weekend

here is an enlarged picture of the hip irons:

hipiron.jpg

Its by no means perfect, but i have seen a lot worse

niceroof2.jpg

Now that roof is a new housing development near to where i work, and i assume a professional roofing contractor has done that :eek:

Bu##er me .. cut the grass as well !! Busy times ! ;)

Just a quick update....

Her is a picture of the sofits and also the cock up i did...

I put in the bay window today, Spot the stray screw... Oh well i suposse it was inevitable i would eventually cock up...

Now all i need is a cure to hide the hole :cry:

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

Hi Masona,

No screw is still there.... I left it there so all the neighbours who keep calling round to see how i'm doing can have a laugh...

The screw has actually only gone through a trim so i can replace it...Just thought it would give you guys a giggle....

Got all the interior dividing wall 80% finished today, Also now have power (sockets) but no lights yet...

Plan of action tomorrow is to board the ceilings and then get some lights in there :)

cheers all

PS,

The main reason for this post, what you think of the fascia & soffits ? I had to use the tongue and grove over the extented eves bit, It is 1.2 meters over the door so no option..

Mick

Mick Leek said:
what you think of the fascia & soffits ? I had to use the tongue and grove over the extented eves bit, It is 1.2 meters over the door so no option..
You're doing well, I can't see from the angle of the photo a soffit vent, if you haven't, it's not too late to put one in by using the circular push in soffit vents, available from Screwfix.

Hi Masona,

No i havent fitted soffit vents.. Used breathable membrane and the BCO guy said there was no need for additional venting...

Just a quick question though, Do new windows have to have vents ? I think they look horrible with the big chunky bit above the glass...

Not sure if my BCO guy will have the bay window if thats the case :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back