Roofing and sofit question

Mick Leek said:
No i havent fitted soffit vents.. Used breathable membrane and the BCO guy said there was no need for additional venting...
If the BCO is happy then fine but I would like to see cross air-flow from soffit to sofffit area for good ventilation. I can't see how breathable membrane will produce ventilation with the tiles on top without soffit vents.

Just a quick question though, Do new windows have to have vents ? I think they look horrible with the big chunky bit above the glass...
It's mainly for controlling condensation problem and it's a grey area as there're many ways of venting the room.

Copy & Pasted

Ventilation
The Building Regulations require that adequate ventilation is provided for people in the building and this should be considered when deciding on the size of opening lights in the replacement windows. For most rooms, one or more opening windows totalling 5% of the floor area, with background "trickle" vents totalling 8000mm2 will be adequate. For kitchens, utility rooms and bathrooms an extract fan is also normally required. In some cases the existing windows may contain a permanent vent to supply combustion air to a heating appliance, although this is now rare. If this is the case however you should ensure that either the replacement window contains a similar permanent vent, or that some other means of providing the required ventilation is installed at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Masona,

With regards to the addition of the vents, for the sake of a few quid i will stick one either side of the bay window and a couple on the back ...

The BCO guy is coming tomorrow, (Wednesday) so i will see what he says regarding the trickle vents...

He is over seeing a 250 million pound hospital project at the moment and so i think my little sunday building project is a bit of a come down and he enjoys having a chinwag when he comes...

I finaly opened up the walls yesterday, from the house to the new build... Used a sthil saw in t he house :eek:

I work in the automotive industry and so had at hand some static charged polythene that we use in the paint shop... Amazing stuff.. I sheeted the entire hall way leaving a 6 foot by 6 foot work area where i cut through....

All the ****e is attracted to the polythene... within 30 mins cleaning up, you would never have guessed i had just cut through two walls creating so much dust...

If anyone is thinking of cutting through their cavity, go to your local paint shop and ask them if you can have a few meters on "wonder mask" it opens up to about 6 meters and when you pull it apart, thats what creates the static..

Cheers

Mick.

Hi gang,

Just a follow up for you all..

I got the glass today for the new bay window... The guy came previously to measure and take dimensions.. I wanted the second bay in the new build to be as close as possible to the original.

Ok so for a chance at winning all the rubble left from the building works (all i can afford at the moment) bagged and ready to load, Who can spot the ENORMOUS mistake with the glass ?

You cant miss it now i've told you :cry:

Oh well... Another week of waiting

Will it ever get finished ????????????

hadenough.jpg

The original is wrong :eek: The principle of Georgian panes follows a set -depth vs. length ratio...........based on Classical architecture and the Palladian style ;) :LOL: The new looks Right and threw me for a while until I compared it :oops:

Sponsored Links
Nige F

So the one i fitted about 3 years ago is wrong ? Problem is, the upstairs windows are made in the same way... I told the glass people how it looked and they said they would do same..

The biggest cock up that you cant see is that it isnt Toughened glass.. Should be as it is under 800mm from the internal floor.

Mick Leek said:
Ok Guys and Galls.

Here is todays problem.

Problem is i cant get soffit boards big enough to cover the plinth and new wood work for eves. Building regs meant we had to either come out from exsisting building or back. if we went back we couldn't get a door from the hallway into the new room as the stair step would have been in the way so we had no choice but to come out.

Any ideas, or is this going to have to be plyed and painted :cry: Wanted no more maintenance option if possible with plastic.

You can get soffit board from Eurocell www.eurocell.co.uk which is 5m long, 0.3m wide and interlocks - so you can cover any size of area. The strip of plastic has the effect of 3 T&G planks of wood (in white, wood effect, etc)

Regards

Colin

That`s a bugger about the toughened glass :cry: How about changing all the bays lower ones for clear..leaving the top ones(in the Ground floor) with the 4 panes ...........Nothing is "right" or "wrong" really ;) It`s just me being a pedant,(and I used to work in a lovely Georgian hotel)

mckcol

Hi Yes i ended up doing it in the tongue and grove type stuff. Was a doddle in the end thanks mainly to the advice from a people on this very forum

Nige F

Glass people changed the glass seeing it was their fault. They even said i could KEEP the wrong stuff in case i ever decided to change it :D

correct.jpg

There you go, just like the other now and WITH toughened glass to keep the BCO guy happy :D

window.jpg

here is the new window at the top of the stairs also.... was harder to fit that than the bay :( had so much trouble sitting it on top of the flashing..

mckcol said:
Mick Leek said:
Ok Guys and Galls.

Here is todays problem.

Problem is i cant get soffit boards big enough to cover the plinth and new wood work for eves. Building regs meant we had to either come out from exsisting building or back. if we went back we couldn't get a door from the hallway into the new room as the stair step would have been in the way so we had no choice but to come out.

Any ideas, or is this going to have to be plyed and painted :cry: Wanted no more maintenance option if possible with plastic.

You can get soffit board from Eurocell www.eurocell.co.uk which is 5m long, 0.3m wide and interlocks - so you can cover any size of area. The strip of plastic has the effect of 3 T&G planks of wood (in white, wood effect, etc)

Regards

Colin

Sorry about that - I didn't realise there were still 2 pages of the thread to go..

Glass people changed the glass seeing it was their fault. They even said i could KEEP the wrong stuff in case i ever decided to change it :D

here is the new window at the top of the stairs also.... was harder to fit that than the bay :( had so much trouble sitting it on top of the flashing..

A question for you - as I am about to fit a bay window (to floor level with french doors).

As far as I know for normal windows you fit them over the cavity. The bay window has been designed to fit flush with the outside brickwork - much like as shown in your photo.

To my question - this means that the outer leaf of brickwork is exposed to the inside of the room. Is there a standard method of:

1. providing DPC
2. providing insulation

I had thought of running a DPC from my firestop (cavity closer, timber frame) to the outside - using sealant on the outside. For insulation I had thought of using 50mm jablite or something similar to pack out the interior reveal, then plasterboard over.

Thoughts?

Regards, Colin

NO,

I fitted a new door and also windows. I took the inner side of the frame to the DPC and butted up against it. I didnt bridge it.

I then plastered upto the DPC and fitted a D trim.

On the roof section, i used fire check plasterboard and the window cill was formed with a piece of marine ply, Plastic formed sill then sits on and against it. You will know what i mean by that once you do it.

I then got a piece of 600mm PVC over board and stuck that to the marine ply with LOW MODULUS silicone to form the lovely inner pvc cill. Dont use the standard stuff.

Here is a piccie of the in side... Doesnt look it but that window is 6 foot 3 inches wide....

innerview.jpg

What you think of my plastering skills ? you wont see one piece of plasterboard on my walls i'll have you know. :D

Mick, I've been looking at your progress for months now. I don't think I've ever seen anyone gain more skills in such a short time. If only you'd done it 20 years ago - you'd be building whole estates by now!

Have you surprised yourself at what you've achieved?

joe

Joe-90

Cheers mate :cry: I'm filling up here, I only decided to DIY because of the prices we were quoted. OK so i started last September and I'm still at it BUT its not just the extension i have done.

I have also renovated EVERY room in the original house, including fitting new kitchen and so on. If you do a search I'm sure you will find all the threads i satrted asking for help. My old friend J Bonding was a star, along with so many others.

In August, we are having the biggest party ever to celebrate the capping out (think its called that when you do the very last small job) Anyone who has kindly given me help and advice in this project is invited to get totally ****ed as a fart....

Sorry admin for the choice of words but there will be a serious amount of beer drank on that evening..

I hope it has been helpful to anyone else thinking of doing a DIY extension.... Where is my old mate sttttammmering ssstan the rrooooooofer ??????

Come on mate not heard from you in a while :)

Nothing to do with roofing, but those of you who have been following my exploits, here is what i have finished this weekend..

Sorry about the poor quality pictures

stairs2.jpg

stairs1.jpg

OK, i know you are all getting FED UP with me but here is the last picture,

YES the exterior is finished :D

finished.jpg

OK rant over. Just to say, thanks to all who helped ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back