Roofing felt is sticking out. Is that normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had roof redone and noticed that the green felt was left sticking out as per picture. Is that normal ?? shoudl that not be folded ?

Please advise as I will have to pay the remaining funds when the work is completed today..

Many thanks,C

Sponsored Links
Yes its normal! Thats the membrane projecting into the gutter.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,
Thanks for coming back on the felt.

As for the nails, those look like cooper spacers. Is that not the norm?

Its not the copper tail rivets! its what looks like a nail head in the middle of the slate.

1st course 3rd slate from right :mrgreen:

luckiLY was some piece of cement that was hanging about.

Thanks again chaps.

Roofing membrane is not UV stable and it will rot within a few years

The roofer should have fitted some plastic eaves trays to drape into the gutter and cut the membrane back so that it is under the slate

The membrane can also, in certain circumstances reverberate as the wind blows it, making an annoying flapping or humming noise - which again leads to premature failure and rainwater running down the fascia and not into the gutter

Roofing membrane is not UV stable and it will rot within a few years

The roofer should have fitted some plastic eaves trays to drape into the gutter and cut the membrane back so that it is under the slate

The membrane can also, in certain circumstances reverberate as the wind blows it, making an annoying flapping or humming noise - which again leads to premature failure and rainwater running down the fascia and not into the gutter
Mine is over 5 years old and shows no sign of wrotting? though I do have plastic eave trays so not concerned if it did.
I checked the spec on my membrane and it said it is UV resistant.

If its just the breather felt thats in the gutter this really is a no no, the roofer should have used a product called 5 u with is a strip of felt you put along the fascia about 18" wide that acts as a drip in to the gutter, this felt does not rot and the breather felt goes over the top but not in to the gutter, we have found when breather felt is just used it tends to vibrate in the wind! and will eventually rot.
Cheers
Dave

Out of curiosity, what size are the tiles, what is the pitch of the roof and what is the headlap of the tiles.

As mentioned eaves trays should have been installed. The felt does eventually perish in the sun.

Whats going to hold the bottom row of copper rivets in for the long run I wonder? Another fibre cement roof done to manufacturers recommendations then!

DaveJ

If the tiles are 600x300 and they are something like the Marley Birkdale fibre cement surely they should have a lap of 100mm in which case there should only be 250mm of tile exposed and photo appears to show very little overlap of the tiles which would make it impossible for them to be waterproof.

Have I made a miscalculation ?

Is there nobody out there that can tell me if these tiles have the correct headlap ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back