sktinaawlt98.jpg
2z45thc9bqrx.jpg
m8ggbj2np7rk.jpg
k4blsfn58x1g.jpg
dbnli5zindfw.jpg
2vdq4565wdvd.jpg
ywfxa4bcld1w.jpg
1666k6r53xky.jpg

Jan 2023 - re-roof with existing stone slates, fitting of felt, fitting of velux windows, cost of £6000
Jan - April 2023 - always been an attic room in this house, no insulation so I knocked the lath and lime ceiling down. Then insulated the room myself leaving 40mm gap between the insulation and the felt for air flow. Overbattened the existing rafters to deepen them, put 60mm solid PIR insulation between them and 40mm over the top of all of it in a continuous layer, was meticulous about gaps and used tape and expanding foam to ensure air tightness.

April/may 2023 - room was plasterboarded and plastered then I decorated
The plasterboard meets the lime plastered chimney breast wall as shown (patched and filled by me with one coat lime and toupret interior filler in places, a lot of the patchiness was how it was originally after I took the lining paper down)
June 2023- noticed water ingress on chimney breast wall and along the perlin (beam). During rainy periods the water physically drips along the perlin and on to the floor.
Had a 15 year guarantee from the contractor covering their work so original roofing contractor took a look, blamed a loose slate, apologised.
July to October - issue persists, contractor hard to pin down, came again eventually and blamed issues with the chimney stack which wasn't on original quote. Personal relationship had broken down by this point and he refused to do any more work.
Had no choice but to get someone else in who repointed parts of the chimney, flaunching and ridge.
Issue still persists and is only getting worse, had lots of different opinions but none that really fill me with confidence.
I've accepted that the chimney pots need capping and am looking in to getting this done.

Main questions:
Why is the chimney breast so wet when this issue wasn't there before having any work on the roof?

Could the water on the perlin be a condensation issue with water running down the top side of the new PIR insulation to the point where there is no insulation (on top of the perlin) and coming through the plasterboard. Why does this only happen when it rains though?

What do I do next? I'm at my wits end. I have looked in to court action but it is hard to get an expert opinion on what is actually the issue so I can chase the original contractor. I have had 4/5 different suggestions from other roofing contractors

Sponsored Links
Had no choice but to get someone else in who repointed parts of the chimney, flaunching and ridge
This remedial work doesn’t look very thorough.

personally I would’ve thought to do the job thoroughly would entail removing the tiles / stone up the side of the chimney and replacing the lead soakers and flashing.

I rather question whether the repointing was just buttering over the existing and wasn’t ground out first.
Also considering most of the chimney needs repointing, why was such a tiny section done?

Im not a pro roofer, so hopefully one will be along soon to give their diagnosis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back