Room above garage - odd suspended floor & insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance. Our property has a side extension with a bedroom above a garage. We've recently topped up the loft insulation and fixed a leaky window which has helped, but the room still has a cold floor (almost like a heat sink) so doesn't stay as warm for long enough. Running a thermal imaging camera on this confirmed my suspicion as the floor is almost 3 degrees colder than those in the other rooms (all non carpeted currently).

Usually I'd say this would be a simple job, just PIR or mineral wool between the joists, but we have an unusual set-up that might allow for an easier job than lifting all the boards. The bedroom is effectively built on its own separate joists to the ceiling joists of the garage, creating its own isolated sub-floor. I've attached some photos of this and a crude image showing the set-up.

My question is, whether we can just roll 200mm mineral wool on to the floor of the suspended sub-floor? Its quite thick and can take weight, but I don't know if this will have the same effect for heat retention as putting it between the joists. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Image1.JPG
    Image1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1000040839.jpg
    1000040839.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back