Room SIze Standards - Living Rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot find a table of 'Living Room' or 'Kitchen Room' size standards, the London Plan and our local plan I cannot see contains these, can these be found anywhere ?

Sponsored Links
There are no laws or standards in relation to room sizes, hence why new builds are like chicken huts.

Sponsored Links
I cannot find a table of 'Living Room' or 'Kitchen Room' size standards, the London Plan and our local plan I cannot see contains these, can these be found anywhere ?
New build, HMO or private rental?

Wasn't Khan't bringing in some room standards for his domain? I recall him piping up about it a few years ago.

Living space is the gross internal area minus the minimum described space for beds, storage, etc.

Sorry I am not asking about GIA, but individual Living Rooms and Kitchen Rooms

There is no minimum areas for living rooms, only bedrooms and gross areas.
Don't forget that the National Space Standards you quoted in post #4 have minimum gross internal floor areas which has implications for the other habitable rooms such as living rooms, I've been caught out by this before.
So whilst there are prescribed minimum areas for bedrooms the other habitable rooms have to meet the overall gross internal floor area. For example a 3 bed (5 person) 2 storey house should be at least 93m2. So if you assume a minimum of 30.5m2 of bedrooms you still need 62.5m2 of ancillary space, that's the equivalent of 5.5 double bedrooms. I have found these standards to be quite generous so that a 11.5m2 double bedroom is actually quite large. Likewise the overall minimum gross internal floor area means the living rooms etc. have to be surprisingly big to meet the minimum gross internal floor area requirements.

Of course, as Jeds mentioned earlier but it doesn't prescribe how you divvy up the remaining space for bathrooms/living/kitchen etc.

Yes I have read Jeds post differently now, and see what he was saying, I have had plans drawn up where the Living room has been enlarged for I guess these reasons, how that was calculated for the divi'ing up - i was never was told ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back