Round Blanking plate??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a light in my downstairs cupboard which hasn't worked for ages due to a broken wire (the wire has been proved dead) so I've decided to fit a battery powered light with a pull cord.

The electrics in the house are old (2 black wires, one with a piece of red tape wrapped around it to indicate the live wire) so rewiring is not a thought. Also I'm about to put the house up for sale soon.

I've managed to get a blanking plate for the light switch which was simple enough, but can't seem to find a round blanking plate for where the "lamp holder" style fitting is.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi "Ban-all-sheds"

Where can I get this plate? I've been searching google and also been to B&Q who didn't seem to have any.

As I mentioned, Plan B is not an option for me nor Plan C (wires are plastered into wall).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How is the fitting mounted?

If it is just fixed direct to the ceiling surface, you could terminate the cables in blocks encased in a choc box and push it into the ceiling.

If it is fixed to a conduit box, you could terminate the cables in blocks within the conduit box. Save the screws used to attach the fitting to the box.

Then to finish, fit a white plastic conduit box lid (link below) either over the hole in the ceiling or use the screws you saved to fix it to the conduit box.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTLID.html

Sorry, Ban. While I've been fannying around doing this post, you've had a running conversation with the OP...

Half the battle is knowing what they are called when using google!

Thanks!

How is the fitting mounted?

If it is just fixed direct to the ceiling surface, you could terminate the cables in blocks encased in a choc box and push it into the ceiling.

If it is fixed to a conduit box, you could terminate the cables in blocks within the conduit box. Save the screws used to attach the fitting to the box.

Then to finish, fit a white plastic conduit box lid (link below) either over the hole in the ceiling or use the screws you saved to fix it to the conduit box.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTLID.html

Sorry, Ban. While I've been fannying around doing this post, you've had a running conversation with the OP...

It's fixed to a conduit box with the cables terminated as you say in a block. I've held onto the screws for this reason.

Thanks as well!

That will be fine. I'm sure £1.68 won't kill me! :LOL:

Prefer to get bit tomorrow and finish the job.

Thanks.

Just take great care when screwing the lid on that you don't damage any of the conductors inside.

If it is just fixed direct to the ceiling surface, you could terminate the cables in blocks encased in a choc box and push it into the ceiling....

Perhaps not such a good idea as the choc box will not be accessible if the hole is ever filled - depends on the floor above as well ???

The electrics in the house are old (2 black wires, one with a piece of red tape wrapped around it to indicate the live wire) so rewiring is not a thought. Also I'm about to put the house up for sale soon.
Be prepared for potential purchasers to factor this into their offers. I just bought a house with similar sounding wiring. In the middle of rewiring it now.

If it is just fixed direct to the ceiling surface, you could terminate the cables in blocks encased in a choc box and push it into the ceiling....

Perhaps not such a good idea as the choc box will not be accessible if the hole is ever filled - depends on the floor above as well ???

That's why I suggested putting a conduit box lid over the hole to indicate the presence of wiring.

However, if you are not happy, one of these could be fitted:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB6.html

Then a box lid fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back