Routing a waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am quoting on a job that requires a bedroom to be turned into an ensuite. The waste all runs down the opposite side of the house and the joists run in the wrong direction to run the soil under the floor boards. I was thinking of using a macerator running a 40mm waste through the joists, but this would mean a 40mm hole through a 6" joist. Is that too much? I am not sure about it, it seems like a big hole through a joist. The other option is major drainage work on this side of the house, which I think is a realistic option.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Joists are probably 8 inch but you still can't put a 40 mm hole through them :( .

You have to surface mount and box in. :D

you can just get a 38mm hole into a 6" joist. providing it's on the centre line of joist.
what is the span of the joist, wall to wall that will give you the max distance out from wall surport that you can drill.

yes you can get a 38mm hole
0.25 x 150 = 38mm that how you get your hole diameter.

Sponsored Links
Afraid you are not able to drill joists to do this as firstly you would be required to use 40mm as the smallest size it would mean that you wouldn't get you 1 in 40 fall.

I guess you will have to pump up into to the loft and then clip to the roof rafters to get your 1 in 40 fall.

I'd just pass on the job. Saves so much hassle

not a chance putting that under the floor
pump it or go to the outside
quote high and hope they don't call you back

Hmm,

I've been asked to quote something similar. The joists are in the right direction, but the run would still be difficult with a 4" waste and there would not be much of a fall.

If I used a macerator, seeing as they are basically pumped, do I need much of a fall on the 40mm waste?

Ta

G.

same rules apply. if its too steep the **** gets stuck as the liquid falls too quickly. too shallow and it back logs.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have spoken to the customer and as he is also having the drive way reshaped and resurfaced so new drains down the right side of the house is the only option.

Just a thought - no need for a fall if you're using a macerator. You can even pump up a certain distance..

Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back