Routing of flexible gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am a long-time lurker, and finally have a question which I hope you can help with.

We are looking at the viability of fitting a balanced flue gas fire, but the routing of the gas feed is tricky as we cannot get below the floors or into the ceiling space.

The only possible/practical option would be to feed a flexible pipe from the meter (in the kitchen), under the cabinets, through a wall into the bathroom, under the bath, behind existing boxing (covering pipework and concealed cistern), through a lathe and plaster wall into the living room and behind the skirting to the fireplace....This would be a total run of less than 10m.

He obvious issues I can see are:

1) Due to access constraints, the pipe will not be secured and will lie on the floor and existing water pipes.
2) There would be a short, unventilated section of approximately 3 - 5m (depending on what 'ventilated' means).
3) I know that running behind skirting is not good practice, but is it otherwise permitted?

We have a Gassafe fitter coming next week to take a look, but I want to get some idea of the possibility of this in advance. What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks
JM

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Pipe it externally?

Great suggestion, and I had looked at this. The challenge is that we are on the third floor of a block of Victorian era flats. The external wall between the meter and fireplace is home to numerous soil stacks and drain pipes, and it steps in/out. So even if we got permission to do it, it is not trivial.

Our intended routing (described above) seems to me to be perfectly safe as there is almost zero risk of someone drilling or banging a nail in, but I am not familiar with the regs...Perhaps I'll just have to trust the fitter when he visits next week.

Again, all thoughts welcome.

It doesn't matter what we (or you) "think", it ultimately comes down the the GSR who'll be putting his/her name to the installation.

Hi there,

I am a long-time lurker, and finally have a question which I hope you can help with.

We are looking at the viability of fitting a balanced flue gas fire, but the routing of the gas feed is tricky as we cannot get below the floors or into the ceiling space.

The only possible/practical option would be to feed a flexible pipe from the meter (in the kitchen), under the cabinets, through a wall into the bathroom, under the bath, behind existing boxing (covering pipework and concealed cistern), through a lathe and plaster wall into the living room and behind the skirting to the fireplace....This would be a total run of less than 10m.

He obvious issues I can see are:

1) Due to access constraints, the pipe will not be secured and will lie on the floor and existing water pipes.
2) There would be a short, unventilated section of approximately 3 - 5m (depending on what 'ventilated' means).
3) I know that running behind skirting is not good practice, but is it otherwise permitted?

We have a Gassafe fitter coming next week to take a look, but I want to get some idea of the possibility of this in advance. What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks
JM
Jeez......fit electric.

I appreciate all the "fit electric" suggestions, but can anyone help highlight some potential issues please? Running the gas line itself would be trivial.

Is freeholder ok with the balanced flue...what are they charging?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back