Royal Mail Scandal 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customers swapping old stamps for new have been refused replacements after being told their stamps are either used or counterfeit.
Others have sent in hundreds of stamps only to sent a handful in return.

Sponsored Links
During the COVID pandemic an elderly acquaintance of mine decided she would write letters and send cards to her friends and relatives to cheer them up. As lockdown was still in force, she purchased 24 stamps online rather than risk venturing out. There was no direct indication that the stamps weren't usable for postage, but hidden away right at the bottom of the listing, it mentioned 'philatelic use' which she did think was an odd thing to put.

Stamps.jpg

The stamps looked new, were in official looking books with their self adhesive in tact. When she used them, the recipients got a note saying they had been sent mail without postage and should go to their sorting office and pay £2.50 to retrieve it.

The sender was very upset and what she thought was a nice kind gesture that would make people smile didn't work out as planned.

people trying to scam the system with fake stamps never , people fake everything to make money stamps just another way .
And in the case of a normal person and genuine mistake by royal mail it shouldnt be more than a couple of quid out of pocket

Sponsored Links
Does this mean that what remains of the book of stamps I bought from the post office about a year ago (for posting stuff), some of which I successfully posted some stuff with, is now no good for posting stuff?

I'm assuming the "counterfeit" stamps have been retained? If they are confident they purchased them from a legit source, they can dispute the allegation and request their return, so that they can consider taking further legal action. If they reply saying they have been destroyed, then they can issue a threat for damages under Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. Obviously, its not worth anyone's bother, but a nice earner for RM to refuse a refund.

My guess is people are printing stamps and selling them encouraging them to launder them in this way and that RM are overwhelmed.

Does this mean that what remains of the book of stamps I bought from the post office about a year ago (for posting stuff), some of which I successfully posted some stuff with, is now no good for posting stuff?
Keep 'em for a souvenir of a simpler time...

They'll be no good for posting the stuff that you've posted before, unless someone returns the stuff, so you can post the same stuff again.

Ebay and amazon are stuffed with fake stamps. I've seen loads of listings that have disclaimers saying they're fake in a roundabout way, I report them to ebay and absolutely nothing happens.

Ebay make their cut on the sale and don't care.

Royal mail are losing money hand over fist because of the cost of posting letters.
They've admitted as much a few years ago by saying letter postage was a loss making sector of the industry and they would be concentrating on parcel(s) delivery.
At £1.25 for a standard letter, (going up to £1.95 for the same letter but unfolded), I only send legal documents through the post these days and pay tracked delivery, signed for. Still expensive but at least it does have a form of guarantee that it will get there.
How many, (obvious childrens), birthday cards never arrive?

What does a not so obvious child look like? ;)
Usually addressed to a 'Mr' or 'Mrs' as opposed to Master or Miss.
This doesn't remove the risk of course, but a bloke I knew many years ago was sent down for postal theft.
Apparently childrens celebration cards were the main items, because most parents thought it wasn't worth trying to find out why they didn't get a card off aunty Jean or uncle Tom, etc.

The current owners of Royal Mail bought it from the government with a legally binding contract that they'd provide universal service and that the price of a 2nd class stamp would be regulated. They've taken loads of profit, now after not many years they're trying to change the rules as they're not making easy money any more.

If the company's bankrupt then it needs to go bust. Then hopefully the government can buy its assets and run it as a public service again, as it always should have remained.

Sponsored Links
Back