Rsj no support piers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've noticed vertical cracking to the top of my bedroom wall above where a load bearing wall was removed in the living room downstairs. It's a 1930s house. The crack is only noticeable at night as it's hidden by horrible thick anaglypta wallpaper which we never got round to taking down yet. I think it might be wider than just hairline but i need to take the paper off to check. The bedroom next to this one was plasterboarded and replastered and there's no cracking to the wall that side and I don't remember the brick work being cracked on that side before it was done either. There was no paperwork for the work when I bought it 2 years ago but I had a SE check it prepurchase to say all looked OK as there was no cracking seen. Its been there since I bought it but I've been trying to ignore it as I have other things to sort with the house as it is. The rsj below spans right across the width of the room to the walls and doesn't appear to have any support piers/pillars?? Do they always need them? The engineer would definitely have noticed that surely. The neighbours have the same wall removed but theirs has a pier/pillar at one end. Obvs the beam is boxed in. Do I need to get someone to expose it and check it out?

Sponsored Links
Yeh it could be i suppose. ill peel it off and have a look. The plaster is really old itll probably come off with the wallpaper.

Attachments

• IMG_20220823_205908.jpg
    IMG_20220823_205908.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 61
It's as if it's just sat on the walls themselves and it's only a single skin brick house. I'll get it checked out properly

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_074857.jpg
    IMG_20220824_074857.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Piers are not a requirement with all beams.

Lack of piers when they would be required leads to cracking in the wall below the beam, not above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back