Running macerater soil pipe above ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a static airstream caravan in my garden.
Up to now its been my office, I am converting it to spare bedroom with bathroom shower and loo. I plan to use a saniflo for the waste.
My problem is the saniflo waste will start 20ft from the house then run down the side of the house to the nearest drain . About 50ft (16 m) in total. The first 20 ft can be hidden or buried behind shrubs but the next bit is up a concrete path at the side of the house. The path is not used so I plan to run it along the bottom of the fence and box it in till it reaches the sewer.
Is this a bad idea?
There is a fall over the distance of about 50cm.

Sponsored Links
I'd worry about it freezing?
a girlfriend lived in a basement flat and the saniflow pumped up to ground level so I assume that most have the "oomph" to work but 18" over 50 feet may work?
you'd need a fair bit of insulation outside?

Thanks, I planned to hide it by boxing it in and lagging it in the box to insulate it. I think the pipe would mostly be empty when not in use so it would be safe?
I am sure it has the "oomph" but I was worried about whether there were regs saying it should be buried.

Thanks, I planned to hide it by boxing it in and lagging it in the box to insulate it. I think the pipe would mostly be empty when not in use so it would be safe?
I am sure it has the "oomph" but I was worried about whether there were regs saying it should be buried.

Buried would make it very difficult to clear, when it inevitably clogged up. Simple fix, a caravan type toilet, which can be emptied.

Sponsored Links
Buried would make it very difficult to clear, when it inevitably clogged up. Simple fix, a caravan type toilet, which can be emptied.
I thought about this as i have memories of unblocking one Christmas day 25 years ago! I didn't want the smelly caravan cassette one and want it to feel like a smart bathroom. Considered a compost loo but I really don't know how they work or smell in occasional use. I figured an expensive sanibest pro £500 approx that can deal with small blockages and may be a safer choice than a nice compost loo about £700

Do not fit the Sanibest regardless of what it says on the box also use 32mm pipe keeping within the rule of the minimum fall on the pipe ALL THE WAY and you cant go down to floor level (or lower) then rise up at the end.

Do not fit the Sanibest regardless of what it says on the box also use 32mm pipe keeping within the rule of the minimum fall on the pipe ALL THE WAY and you cant go down to floor level (or lower) then rise up at the end.

Why not the sanibest? good point about the fall all the way thanks

Make sure you have rodding points everywhere.
In fact make it all out of rodding access points :)

Be prepared to burn everything down when it fails & causes a stink :)

I am more worried about blockages than noise so what would be better than a sani best?

The best has the cutting blade in the bottom whilst the plus has it on top making it easier to unblock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back