Running SWA cables outside for new ring main inside house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon.
Just a quick question. I need to run a new ring main in my house back to the DB. The only problem is that there is no route back to the DB without huge damage to tiled floors. My soloution is if its allowed is to run the ring main from the DB outside allong under the patio for 3 meters and back in under the floor boards. There will be no joints outside and cables will be buried under the patio in SWA cable.
Is this allowed? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
In a way yes. But there are rules as to how deep and putting markers above either tape or tiles and Part P.
I would suggest it may be cheaper to get a registered electrician under Part P to do the work? Also may be better following wall rather than under ground? Also in mineral insulated cable smaller neater cable can be used but not really type of cable for the DIY person to use. So I would at least get a quote first as local authority building control charges are a rip off.

no route back to the DB without huge damage to tiled floors

In the wall? In the ceiling above? Concealed behind coving at ceiling level? Through another room (the shortest route is not always the best). Extending an existing circuit?

Sponsored Links
The OP did seem to suggest there was an internal route for one leg of the ring, so:-

1/ 4mm radial per BAS suggestion
2/ Take both legs of the ring via the route that (seems) to be available

I'm anti the SWA just because it's poor design to have an external routed cable for an internal ring, although there's nowt in ta regs to say it can't be done.

I'd also add that fibre glass cable rods may well be able to fish under sealed floors, subject to sub floor joist construction.

You can cut access holes in wood floors with a cutter / plug maker such as
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60543...ws-_-Armeg Solid Board Cutter 127mm&source=aw

Hope that helps

Have used the swa method to extend a ring final into a conservatory.

Not my ideal method but the customer had that flock wall covering at £109 per roll, so wasnt wanting me chasing the wall for 8ft from nearest rf connection point(socket) :LOL:

So I used two legs of 2.5mm 3c (off cut from another job) glanded into 2x adaptable boxes (one at conservatory other on house, both directly behind sockets) carried conductors through into socket backboxes, where they were crimped to one leg & terminated into socket with other leg.
Clipped swa along the external wall to conervatory, fixed danger 230v lables to swa & both boxes....sorted no problem.

Wouldn't running one 4 core SWA have been easier?

Indeed it would have but seen as I had the swa left over from another job I put up with the minimal hassle of running two lengths & pocketed the extra bunce ;)
And the aesthetics of not having a single cable run weren't a problem as it was up the side between two properties with a space just big enough for me to get in, so customer doesn’t use it for anything more than storing the hose pipe.

If I'd had some I'd have rather used MI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back