Running van on chip fat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that vegetable oil is now cheaper than diesel. Has anyone tried running their van on it? or maybe a veg oil diesel mix. I would be interested if anyone has had any success/ disasters. cheers.

Sponsored Links
I heard that it make's cooking smell emit from exhaust, so you will smell like a chippy whenever you drive.

depends on your engine and fuel pump.

I run on a mix of mineral and SVO, and it only smells like a chip van till the engine warms up properly.

might add, its better if you are doing longer journeys, the smell is unburnt veg oil, so it does leave a deposit behind.

I get a couple more MPG too, im just unsure as to the MOT emissions bit though...

For indirect injection diesels and slow revving direct injection motors, there won't be a problem using this - apart from a cold start issue in the depths of winter.
Its a big no - no on common rail and pumpe deuse motors though and I wouldn't try it - even bio diesel is frowned upon by the VAG group.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You can also have a problem with the pump seals, they don't seem to like vegatable fat, the money saved by running on it can be more than absorbed if you need to have the pump overhauled.

Peter

If you have an indirect injection vehicle with a bosch pump then you are good to go. there is a very useful site / forum on the subject which is

www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

I hope i wont get in trouble for posting the site address.

btw i have a 99 ducato which runs on anything.

Thanks for the replies fellas. very interesting. I might give it a go as the van's an old ldv pilot and probably hasn't got much time left before the scrapies

Make sure that your oil is thoroughly filtered, and mixed with regular diesel at a low concentration first, and let us know how it goes?
John :)

Check that is hasn;t got a lucas pump, if it has you are 99.999% sure to seize it immediatly, you need to have a bosch pump.

my old landy has a cav-lucas pump and ive ran veg oil and diesel mix of 50/50 during the summer for a few years now, its been to greece and back twice on this mix.
apparently what happens is the diesel lubricates the pump and veg oil isnt such a good lubricant so the seals become brittle or wear out, but i am no expert on this.
one thing to watch out for is premature injector failure and fuel filters clogging up.
always run a tank of straight diesel through it once in a while.
veg oil from tescos is 2.75 for 3 litres so you wont become a millionaire over night buy doing a 50/50 mix.
i do it because it makes my engine run a bit smoother , gives it a bit more power and a bit more mpg , but it is an old land rover so its quite a noticeable difference for me but maybe not really worth it on a regular vehicle.
also , dont do it during the winter , the veg oil has a lower viscosity when its cold and doesn't work as good as it does when its warmer.

did you know that the first diesel engine ever invented apparently ran on peanut oil?
you could try and grow some coconuts. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6634221.stm?lsm

ive just noticed the original post was made in 2005 , i am pretty sure he has a new van by now. :D
boy does this part of the forum move slowly.

ive just noticed the original post was made in 2005 , i am pretty sure he has a new van by now. :D
boy does this part of the forum move slowly.

you sure??

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:23 pm Post Subject: Running van on chip fat

is what I see, best check your clock settings!

Sponsored Links
Back