Ryobi Petrol Hedgecutters - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got 'em on sale at Screwfix - £96.

60cm blades, 28mm cutting capacity.

Not quite up to the Stihls I have been using, or a bit of a gem?

Sponsored Links
Brig - I got a Ryobi 30cc line trimmer (with free hedge trimmer - Expand-it set) from Screwfix last year for less than a ton. Very impressed with build quality, effectiveness, ease to start, etc. Also bought 5 extension shafts and a pruner attachment (small chain saw) in the Expand-it range for it to lop branches - brilliant tackle. So I can't fault Ryobi as a make.

I have been looking at them. I want to get a hedge trimmer, blower and brush cutter.
I have seen that Stihl is the pros choice (on other forums) but they are over £300 each which is a bit much for the odd garden maintenance job.

Sponsored Links
It looks ok but it would be worth trying to find out who makes it for them to see if spare parts are readily available. Some of the cheaper makes (Ryobi included, I am told) sell their units cheaply but make their money on spares. So cheap to buy but expensive to run.

id rather spend the money on a second hand stihl one. they are bullet proof, vast array of spares avaliable cheaply and very easy to maintain yourself. Apart from a kawasaki hedge trimmer (superb 2nd hand) all my petrol stuff is stihl. never lets me down. I took a large strimmer out of my store the other week that i havent started in 5 years, Gave it a clean, started 1st time with 5 year old petrol still in the tank

Yes I like the Stihl stuff, just very expensive to purchase new, but Thermo is spot on. I have a Stihl FS 80 brushcutter/strimmer... excellent bit of kit.

The only trouble with Stihl is that the spare parts are only available for 10 years after the model ceases production. Still I expect this is much longer than other manufacturers. Valid point by Zambezi.

Well,

I did buy the Ryobi, on the basis that it would have cost me more than a ton to get someone round and do the job, and (despite my mate's kind offer), I am not going to keep borrowing his Stihls. (I was narrowly outbid on Ebay for some, too :cry: ) Trouble is, I needed some cutters, won't pay £300 for new Stihls, and couldn't wait on the vagaries of fleabay!

So far, so good - very good cut from the Ryobis.

I've got a far amount of privet, leylandii and holly to maintain, so they will get some work done - will keep you updated on their robustness.

Thanks all

Hi Brigadier,

I ordered the Axminster one last night, next day delivery so I hope to cut back my privet this Bank Holiday Monday. Again, I would of liked a Stihl but the price would of been too high to justify.

I also let diynot.com on what I think of the Axminster hedge trimmer.

Thanks.

...and in case anyone cares....

Still going strong up to now. Still cutting nicely, and have seen some regular domestic use.
If you want a reasonable hedge cutter for domestic use, these should do you for a few years :)

Cool, but do grease the gear mechanism in the housing below the engine.....a very expensive repair if they pack in - and they do!
John :)
PS a mate hired a top of the range Stihl hedge trimmer last week. £40 for 5 days hire? I can't compete with that.
J.

Ryobi update

Still cutting well (I oil the cutters every time I use it), still starts easily.
First little niggle - sometimes continues to run, even after I've flicked the "0" switch. Which of course, could be dangerous.

Any ideas whether it's an easy DIY fix, or off to a service agent jobbie?

Thanks in advance :)

An easy fix by splitting the handle and replacing the switch mate - I think its part number 760345001 but call Augmented Agents Ltd on 0161 477 3388 to make sure.
John :)

brig - yep, mine's still going strong too. The hedge trimmer attachment that came with it was the 'in-line' straight type so I recently got an Expand-it swivel head hedge trimmer attachment to do the tops of my hedges (10' tall privets!!!) and it works really well ... just turn the head to the correct angle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back