Sabre Boiler Producing High Carbon-Monoxide Readings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my tenant has called to say CM alarm has gone off. The gas safe engineer has gone round and confirmed the boiler is producing high cm readings. He has shut off the boiler and left a message for me to call him to discuss the options. I've tried calling him but he isn't picking up.

The boiler is nearly 5 years old and is a Sabre. It is serviced every year and has landlord gas safety cert. I was at the property a little while ago and I noticed the pressure had dropped below 1 bar, but I knew it was coming up to it's annual service so it would get sorted then.

I can't see a boiler of this age needing replacing. Can you advise me of what checks the engineer should have done to find the fault?

Many thanks
Parky

Sponsored Links
why don't you wait until you speak to the engineer , if you don't trust him why are you using him ??

Last edited:
A room sealed appliance should not trigger a CO alarm unless there is a serious issue. This needs to be resolved before the appliance is put back into use. Talk to the engineer and get his thoughts on what the cause might be. If you don't have confidence in him, get someone else to look at it. You'll obviously have to pay for that and he may just confirm what the first guy says.

How old is the carbon monoxide detector

Did you get a copy of flue test printout?

Boiler test and a boiler service are two different things. Are you Sure boiler was serviced

Which sabre is it (SE or HE)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

The engineer confirmed to the tenant - there is a problem with the boiler. I haven't yet been able to speak to him. If he says you need a new boiler - I would like to be able to ask him if he has checked this and that as I feel that a boiler of this age should not have any major faults that can't be rectified without huge expense.

Obviously, if the boiler needs replacing, it will be replaced. Also, if it is changed, I will go for a Vaillant Boiler.

why do you think it needs a new boiler ? even if a sabre is burning like a candle it still should not set off a carbon monoxide detector , this is a room sealed appliance and should not allow any products of combustion into the house

why do you think it needs a new boiler ? even if a sabre is burning like a candle it still should not set off a carbon monoxide detector , this is a room sealed appliance and should not allow any products of combustion into the house

I don't think it needs a new boiler - I am not a qualified to know whether it needs a new boiler. I would hope the engineer would do certain checks and find out what the problem is and fix it.

I would very much doubt if you need a new boiler, a room sealed appliance is just that , it takes its air to burn from outside and it sends the exhaust products to outside, if it was burning incorrectly and producing high levels of carbon Monoxide the fumes would still be exhausted to outside, you would need a double fault , the burning of the appliance to be wrong and the flue or combustion chamber to be faulting at the same time, why dont you look at a fixed price repair from Vokera who make the sabre if you are not confident in your engineer, at the end of the day it can be fatal so I would use the experts who often turn out to be less expensive in the long run

No 5 years old boiler will need replacing.

But to set of the CO alarm there is a serious installation issue.

You just need to know what it is.

I cannot think of any which would not have been noticed by a careful gas safety check some while ago.

Tony

what other gas appliances have you got in the property ? has the tenant been fiddling because of fault on boiler and not replaced cover properly ? the alarm may need changing !!! ( change it anyway for the price ) . you seem to be quick to think the engineer has no knowledge because you can't speak to him :confused::cautious:

plus a safety check is NOT a service and if your REALLY worried about boiler costing you money in the future get it serviced properly every year to reduce breakdowns and dangerous situations

Are all engineers not available to speak at any time of day or night?

Are all engineers not available to speak at any time of day or night?

Not me. when the boss phones I jump to it. For others If I am free I will take the call. If I am asleep or busy, it goes to answer machine

A room sealed appliance is just that it's sealed for safety it burns the air it brings in you really
have a big prob if it's leaking fumes maybe someones had a fiddle with it wouldn't be the first
time a tenant has had their fingers on a boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back