Safezones and loft conversion

Sponsored Links
The rafters are insulated with silver foil,
I hope for your sake you don't mean some kind of multifoil product.

What is it exactly, what's it made of, how thick is it, and what R value do the makers claim?

It is multifoil, but the rafters are 150mm, filled with 100mm celotex and then covered with the multifoil to achieve the necessary insulation values.

I have read a lot of good and bad reviews about these products so will see how it goes.

Thanks

"skeiling" ?

Is this perhaps a new slang work meaning SKewed - cEILING ?

As for BANs question about when a ceiling becomes a wall - good question, I`d never thought of that.

I suppose we could refer back to a sphere or a cylinder and place an imaginary level square inside it and say from the four corners that intersect on the circle denotes which are wall and which are ceilings - OK simple so far.

With sloping ceilings or wall then I think it might be either :-

anything within 45 degrees of vertical is a wall and anything within within 45 degrees of horizontal is a ceiling

or alternatively

anything within x degrees of vertical is a wall anything withing x degrees of horizontal is a ceiling and any other angle between those two is a "Skeiling" or some such other term. Only problem is do we define X as 10 degrees or 20 or ....... ?

Back to the OP

Why don`t you consult your local building control officer with your concerns?

Is this perhaps a new slang work meaning SKewed - cEILING ?
Then my house also has many skwalls.

As for BANs question about when a ceiling becomes a wall - good question, I`d never thought of that.
Nor has I until this topic, and as soon as I did I envisaged a semi-circular structure like a Nissen hut.

I suppose we could refer back to a sphere or a cylinder and place an imaginary level square inside it and say from the four corners that intersect on the circle denotes which are wall and which are ceilings - OK simple so far.

With sloping ceilings or wall then I think it might be either :-

anything within 45 degrees of vertical is a wall and anything within within 45 degrees of horizontal is a ceiling

or alternatively

anything within x degrees of vertical is a wall anything withing x degrees of horizontal is a ceiling and any other angle between those two is a "Skeiling" or some such other term. Only problem is do we define X as 10 degrees or 20 or ....... ?
With loft conversions didn't there used to be either a rule about minimum floor area, or a method for calculating effective floor area which looked at the plane that intersected the roofline at a height of x above the finished floor level?

Maybe that plane could define the boundary between walls and ceiling?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back