Salt anyone?

Guys I have eaten Fkin olives before, We basically live in Greece for a lot of the time.
The olives I bought in tescos (says it all right there) , like most foods in the UK had way too much salt added to them.
If you are having trouble with this go to tescos and buy their olives. ;)

When the Greeks salt cure their olives, what do they use? Would that be salt?

Tesco do not put any salt in their salt cured olives. They are supplied that way, probably from Greece. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Packed for a UK market to tescos specifications. Probably from the middle east.

Packed for a UK market to tescos specifications. Probably from the middle east.

Could be right about the packaging and the location, but even Tesco do not tell the supplyer how much salt to use in the curing process.

How do you know? Perhaps different grades of olives require different amounts of salt? Or perhaps olives that require a longer shelf life? Who knows, all I know is the salt content in these olives was more than I'm use to.
They were the cheap ones though, 1.99 or something for a massive jar.

sainsburrys do nice olives in little plastic containers but its over a quid for a couple of dozen olives.

edit - another overly salted food is sambal oelek, on the continent its really nice , here its stupidly salty.

298410_sambal_oelek_200g.jpg
[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
How do you know?

Because the supplier does not do the curing.

Perhaps different grades of olives require different amounts of salt?

Different olives are cured differently, not all can be cured in salt.

Or perhaps olives that require a longer shelf life? Who knows,

They are either cured or not.

all I know is the salt content in these olives was more than I'm use to.
They were the cheap ones though, 1.99 or something for a massive jar.

Don’t buy cheap crap.

sainsburrys do nice olives in little plastic containers but its over a quid for a couple of dozen olives.

Don’t buy cheap crap.

Can you recommend some olives that arnt cheap crap then?
Anyhow ,the purpose if this thread is to highlight the amount of salt in UK food , not to have a discussion on curing olives. :D

They call salt the white death, its far worse for you than sugar
but not as bad as heroine or cocain or meths
hate to say this but you only live once enjoy it
something gonig to kill you so don`t painc
have picnic instead ;)

but not as bad as heroine or cocain or meths
hate to say this but you only live once enjoy it
something gonig to kill you so don`t painc
have picnic instead ;)
Right, and f*ck the implications for the (ever-dependable) NHS. Is it not this sort of mindset that has garnered a nation of fat, pasty pudgebuckets whose standard of health is declining year-on-year. :rolleyes:

Can you recommend some olives that arnt cheap crap then?
Anyhow ,the purpose if this thread is to highlight the amount of salt in UK food , not to have a discussion on curing olives. :D
Try that well known shrine-to-decadence: the Waitrose deli counter. They certainly ain't crap. Clueless as to the salt content, though. ;)

well i am fairly heathy i don`t see why nhs has any right to tell me what to do since i pay them or did i miss some thing with all tax paper work i got to do

Only you and your doctor know whether you are healthy or not.

The NHS can only advise; it cannot compel any patient what to do in the interest of health.

Well I am delighted that you (and I are both) are contributing, adl, but clearly, millions of NHS recipients are not. The service, such as it is, cannot continue indefinitely. :(

Sponsored Links
Back