Salus RT520TX, brand new, not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We continue to have problems with our Vaillant boiler which was installed last July; the company who installed it have still not managed to get our heating controls working. We had months with uncontrollable heating, and for the last few weeks have not been able to turn it off at all! Yesterday they brought a replacement Salus thermostat. The heating was on when they left but stopped working a few hours later.

I re-paired it and it came on again. I set the required/max temp to 25 but it never reached above 23 all eve.

But woke this morning to a freezing house. Unable to get the heating to work at all, not good when it is -7 degrees outside today!

I have studied the basic instructions but there is no indication about how the override button works, and cannot find this online either.
What does the button that says +Hr actually do?
And what does the Hand button do?
I just want the temp that I have set so don't feel I should be needing to use the override anyway.
I have clicked both buttons just now, as I did a few hours ago to no avail, and the heating has now come on - hurrah! But I want the set times to work, rather than have to do this manually, and it is erratic anyway.

I assume the chap put new batteries in when he installed it yesterday.

Any suggestions for this ongoing saga of our heating?

As we paid so much to the installation company last summer, we still feel they should get it working for us. The company arranged for someone to come from Vaillant, three times in fact, and Vaillant have confirmed there is no problem with the boiler - they just pointed out ways it had been installed incorrectly, which have now apparently been fixed by the installation company.

We had asked for a wired thermostat to be put in yesterday as we are so fed up with the Salus wireless ones, but they simply brought us this new model and said it was 100% better. Given the current weather, what we had previously, with heating we could not turn off, was actually better than heating we cannot turn on.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for such a long post.

Sponsored Links
instructions

https://salus-controls.com/files/RT520_Quick-Guide_UK_V008.pdf

I had a really nasty salus T105RF fitted, a real awful one which you could not program at all.

I then purchased the it500, an internet based one and had that fitted, a real improvement, easier to programme and understand via internet or app, however the app is pretty buggy in that its not instant, you have to wait for a good minute for it to update /apply and failed to work when clocks went forward, quick fix was to log out of app and back in.

Salus are cheap but not the best in the market.

You need to get the installers back in.

Thanks for your comment. We emailed the installers first thing this morning but it will no doubt be several weeks until they can come again.
Thanks also for sharing the instructions, which I have already. It is extraordinary that there is nothing in them about how to use two of the buttons for the override.

Our problems with this new boiler have gone on for over six months, I cannot imagine us ever having it working properly!

If anyone else can advise how to use the override buttons, that would be great.

The +1 button simply brings the heating on for 1 hour when pressed if the heating is turned off, the manual button brings the heating on untill the next off period is reached, post a pic of your boiler controls and your Salus,do you have any other existing controls still installed , room thermostat, timer ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian.
Do you mean if I push the Manual button, the heating will stay on until tonight when it is due to go off? And the different settings for the rest of the day will not operate?
Now we have warmed up a bit, I will have another go at getting it to work automatically without the Manual button and Hand showing.
As you ask, I will see if I can attach some pics of the Salus, with Manual hand indicator on and off. And also the boiler, but we didn't think we could control the heating with the boiler itself.

Attachments

• EE698A8E-DAAE-454A-BBCA-422D6DAC62CF.jpeg
    EE698A8E-DAAE-454A-BBCA-422D6DAC62CF.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 14093BDD-104B-4690-8112-589ADEDD5920.png
    14093BDD-104B-4690-8112-589ADEDD5920.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
  • 83F73C2F-FD08-40E6-AD64-B8F9D70444A4.png
    83F73C2F-FD08-40E6-AD64-B8F9D70444A4.png
    2 MB · Views: 248
  • 4D4E2714-963B-4B05-B5F0-4628AAE6BE6F.png
    4D4E2714-963B-4B05-B5F0-4628AAE6BE6F.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 217
Do you mean if I push the Manual button, the heating will stay on until tonight when it is due to go off? And the different settings for the rest of the day will not operate?
nope it will stay on untill the next off period, say you had the room to reach 18deg and you press the oride button, once the room reaches the set temp it will go off and revert back to normal

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks Ian for clarifying about the override.

There have been a catalogue of errors from the installation company. Di you really want to know?!

Pressure relief valve mistake. The motorised valve had not been wired correctly, according to the Vaillant engineer who came, and it was not opening when the thermostat instructed the boiler to come on. Both Vaillant and the installation company insisted the problems were each others' responsibility.

There was also something that should have been out in, a fluid I think. That had to be sent off for - it was delivered to our house but we then had to contact the company again to make an appointment for a few weeks later for someone to come and put it in. It didn't seem to make any significant difference, whatever it was.

Hose to adjust the pressure was installed at problematic angle, facing towards us, which made it hard to adjust the pressure, as we have to do regularly - it often drops overnight to zero and was doing this twice a week for a couple of months. Now it seems to be just every few weeks. Even my teenage son is getting quick at adjusting it now. But it is unpleasant going to bed not knowing if there will be hot water in the morning.

There was one time when it made such a dreadful noise, a repeated loud banging, when we first tried to adjust the pressure, all we could do to get it to stop was turn the whole boiler off and also the water. We then had a few days with no water at all, not even cold. Cannot recall what that problem was exactly. Might have been to do with the prv.

The company also forgot to complete the Benchmark commissioning form and despite many requests, this has still not been done.

The worst thing actually is that they have been a nightmare to try and communicate with. Lots of different staff who don't communicate with each other. They even offered us £50 at one time if we would agree to stop contacting them, and just put up with a brand new boiler that did not work! I will resist the temptation to name them!

The biggest problem was that we have never been able to control the heating since the boiler was put in last July, or to have guaranteed heating or hot water.

The new Salus and heating have stayed on all day today so hopefully will work again tomorrow morning, and we won't wake up to a cold house again.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Last edited:
The motorised valve had not been wired correctly, according to the Vaillant engineer who came, and it was not opening when the thermostat instructed the boiler to come on. Both Vaillant and the installation company insisted the problems were each others' responsibility.
The thermostat tells the valve to open, once open the valve tells the boiler to come on, nothing to do with Vaillant, 100% the installers resposibility

Hose to adjust the pressure was installed at problematic angle, facing towards us, which made it hard to adjust the pressure, as we have to do regularly - it often drops overnight to zero and was doing this twice a week for a couple of months. Now it seems to be just every few weeks. Even my teenage son is getting quick at adjusting it now. But it is unpleasant going to bed not knowing if there will be hot water in the morning.
You need to address this immediately, you are rotting your boiler and radiators from the inside, adding oxygenated water constantly is an absolute no-no

Thanks for the warning Ian. Ten days ago someone out sealant into the system in the hope that it will block a leak that everyone thinks must be somewhere in the system. He said it could take two weeks to have any effect. Hopefully it has and this is why we have not lost pressure for a week.

If it continues, any suggestions of how we can fix it? We did lose pressure gradually with the old boiler but it is only since having the new one installed have we had so many times when we lose it completely overnight.

Thanks for the warning Ian. Ten days ago someone out sealant into the system in the hope that it will block a leak that everyone thinks must be somewhere in the system. He said it could take two weeks to have any effect. Hopefully it has and this is why we have not lost pressure for a week.

If it continues, any suggestions of how we can fix it? We did lose pressure gradually with the old boiler but it is only since having the new one installed have we had so many times when we lose it completely overnight.
Worst thing you could have done Im afraid, modern boilers hate leak sealer

Oh no. Another misguided action from the installation company. Why is it bad?

Modern boilers have very narrow water ways and the leak sealer damages them, many manus will void the warranty if leak sealer is used

Oh no. Another misguided action from the installation company. Why is it bad?

I wouldn't worry about it to much for now.

The leak sealer is only a temporary repair. And it will start losing pressure again.

As you haven't noticed any damp, the leak is likely under the ground floor flooring

Thanks to you both. We have completely turned off the under floor heating in the kitchen. Rather hoping the leak might be there but no idea where it is really.
The more immediate concern is the heating and just hope the new Salus works and we can finally control the heating. The last Salus we had didn't work at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back