Sash clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any functional difference between a T-bar and an 'Expert' sash clamp ?

They look practically the same to me and I'm confused. *Thinking about buying a set*

Price is more or less the same as well.

Sponsored Links
The T bar cramps are supposed to resist any deflection when tightened fully - unfortunately the cheaper ones appear to be hewn out of railway lines rather than the more refined expert ones.
I've got some Record cramps of the expert style and they have been brilliant in every way.
John :)

I can't really comment on the sizes of these things, but of course the expert types can be easily bolted together if need be.
Quality wise these are very reasonable (read cheap) and the real test is the distortion of the jaws when fully tightened - but at that price you can't go far wrong!
John :)

Sponsored Links
T-bar cramps are designed for heavy cramping tasks where resistance to twisting and distortion as well as high cramping pressures are paramount, e.g. cramping stairs, frame and panel front doors, etc. Their weight makes them unsuitable to cramping lighter products such as window sashes, furniture, etc where the added weight could induce wind, etc and where there might be a tendency to over cramp, thus crushing the component. Sash cramps, as the name implies, were originlly designed to cramp window sash frames and similar lighter products where very heavy cramps could induce warping if not corrected.

In terms of quality the best heavy cramps have rolled T-section rail and will be available with cramp extensions. The best sash cramps will have extensions available as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back