satnav ./

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my lad is thinking of paying £40. for the traffic imfo/ cams/ etc. .download for his tomtom 300/ . but i say it will only tell him of the sites etc/ .but not if they are active, unlike my snooper which lets you know if the gatso,s are active , or any lasers in advance.
does anyone please know ?. [ i stand to make a quick tenner ] if im right. :) . regards.r.r.

Sponsored Links
my2p worth.

I watched a camera being taken OUT of a gatso (Nice bloke told me all about it)

When he finished he just pushed it back up and locked it again, but his last comment was "you know there is no camera in this one, but you wont know when we put one back in it"

To anyone not knowing what i saw, all he did was take the camera out, and show me how it works (and told how they caught some one) BUT as i understand it car speed detectors detect the microwaves emited from them, (the gatsos) but the micorwave detector and flash were left still working.

My point being any bit of kit you have will tell you its working, on the basis of the microwave being detected, it can not tell you if it has a camera in it or not

yeah the gps ones only tell you the sites, but thats fine for the fixed cameras imo as 1) you shouldnt be relying on it! 2)i can never bring myself to speed past a camera even if i know the box is empty. snoopers etc have the advantage of spotting the mobile ones.

try the camera download at pocketgpsworld.com i find it better than tomtoms anyway (but its still not perfect) and it has common mobile sites (marked with a different symbol).

for traffic i just use the rds on the radio (b/c Im too tight to pay for tt trafic), but tom tom traffic would be nice and handy. (but note he would need a compatiable mobile with data set up to get this)

I also use the on at pocketgpsworld, ****** to paying £40 when you can get a free decent one.
As mentioned though, dont rely on it. I only use mine to wanr me incase I have a slight lapse in concentration and go slightly over the speed limit, I never use it for putting my boot down when I'm late...
As for snoopers and other such items, I had one some time ago, and it annoyed the heck out of me, automatic shop doors, pedestrian crossings or other lights with a radar thingy on them used to set it of, are they still the same?

Sponsored Links
sorry about late reply/ yep breezer ,intresting what you say regards what nice bloke told you, [ bet he didnt give you a spare key did he , :) ] but me handbook says gatso operate on K BAND ? also if the gatso is in mimic mode [ no camera ] it does as the bloke says / but./ IT ONLY WORKS ON LOW POWER / so the snooper will either not respond or will give a low signal at short range . :) . .
the highest response i get [ if its active ] is when im about 25 mtrs passed it [ gatso target area ] as they face away from you dont they/ but snooper will pick up reflected signal from cars in front anyway , if there is 1 of coarse :) .
on a good day it will pick up laser from a 2 miles away. [ lidar signals ] .
i have drove past a few gatso,s on way to b.ham airport/ and no warning at all, but did get warning of 1 , which was actually on other caraigway.
radar guns etc, work on x and k band, also Ka bands.
i could go on for ever [ i got the instruction book here, lol. ] i can telll you there worth the £70 [ argos price ] and have warned me a few times, like when the laser was being pointed from the open window/ door/ pavement side / from a unmarked police car. .. police m.bike was further down hidden away./ . not that i was speeding / . :) .truth.

and thanks to you sm1thson, for reply / seems im right about the satnav then [ thats a nice tenner to me ] :D thought i was right/ 1 to snooper 0 to satnav. lol/ yep i know what you mean about speeding passed even when you know its empty/ i have done it, not on purpose, but cus i got no warning it was there/ and i was only one on rd at time 4am/
was watching the post for next week or so. lol./ anyway i will go look at that site you mentioned, thanks to both for replys/ ............mine a long 1 as usual/ lol/ regards, r.r.

the snooper and the like pick up microwaves in set band(s) trouble is as you hvae realised the same frequncies are used by pelican corssings, regular traffic lights (not sure about aoto doors, but i believe you) so yes waste of time.

yep your both correct it does still pick up unwanted signals/ do ya head in bleeps/ . but you can now set it to .auto mute, which will reduce the volume of them till you are away from them/ and then it resets itself. :)
i have it because i got it cheap , not because i want to go speeding / went off the rd back in 2002 when the rear o/s tie rod snapped in my orion , was only doing 50mph on empty rd on way back from skegness , car was a write off. so to b****y scared to boot it anymore. :(
anyway i have passed that ..pocketgpsworld.com . over to me lad to have a look at, so thanks again. r.r.

Just an interesting note!

Last week I saw a standard Gatso but it had what seemed to be a sensor added to the top to look at the traffic which was approaching it.

I am guessing but think it may be a device to measure the speed of traffic as it approaches it and then flash them a moment later when they have passed it but perhaps slowed down.

Tony

Indeed, OR it could be part of the new system that is going to aparantly measure how far we go and charge us accordingly.... Was passing through a major city the other week and there were loads of roadworks with signs stating that a new traffic management system was being installed.

eggplant said:
Yellow box on a pole - usually has a camera inside ;)
Nearly - the camera (including detector) is the Gatso device, whereas he box and pole are just a box and a pole. Nor are they all yellow.

but I'm sure he knew what I meant, I didnt go into detail because no one really cares what in them, its what they do that matters

In Blackpool the police are quite crafty, they catch those who slow down for the camera then speed up after they have passed it by having a mobile camera van 500 yards up the road from the gatso, they park the van so that it's not easy to spot and I bet they catch a few!

yeah a lot do that, thing is, since you are actually breaking the law by speeding - regardless of if you slow down, you cant get away with saying it was entrapment :(

Sponsored Links
Back