Savers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Discount store.

Went online to order something and in order to buy, I had to register. In order to register, I had to put my DoB. It said:

"We collect your date of birth to verify your age for compliance purposes and in some cases to provide you personalised offers and news."

I also had to tick a box that said:

"By ticking the box, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Privacy Policy. You will receive personalised offers and news as explained in Section 6 of our Privacy Policy. We may share your personal data with our partner companies, but only for the purposes of providing you additional benefits. You can always adjust your Privacy Preferences in your My Account or by contacting our Customer Team.*"

In both cases, you could not proceed with your order without completing these steps.
If I walked into their shop, I could walk out without them knowing anything about me.

I did not buy from them.

Rant over.

Sponsored Links
Nope, am with you there. I once had an order cancelled from a High St clothes store because they worked out my telephone number was made up. The wouldn't proceed without my real telephone number so I told em to stick it. Superdrug asked me for a copy of your passport to order a blade - not happening so I didn't order there either! Nobody needs every detail about us just to shop online, certainly not DOB/passport etc.

Nope, am with you there. I once had an order cancelled from a High St clothes store because they worked out my telephone number was made up. The wouldn't proceed without my real telephone number so I told em to stick it. Superdrug asked me for a copy of your passport to order a blade - not happening so I didn't order there either! Nobody needs every detail about us just to shop online, certainly not DOB/passport etc.

Retailers have specific legal obligations relating to the online sale of age restricted products:

https://www.businesscompanion.info/...sales/online-sales-of-age-restricted-products

OK. So they could ask for it if you buy one of those items.
But to ask for it as a matter of course, no.

Once got asked by an organisation on the phone, "could you confirm your DoB for security?"

I told them that they did not have my DoB, so how could they check it?

Sponsored Links
I only put my true date of birth on secure official sites. Never on a on-line sales site or a public accessible site. On one social media site I am 119 years old and still going strong.

I only put my true date of birth on secure official sites. Never on a on-line sales site or a public accessible site. On one social media site I am 119 years old and still going strong.
Lol, yes, I am 109! Not even in my real name - no social media is.

Actually all they need do is ask if over what ever age limit there is. Far trickier for university students usually with alcohol purchases from stores. They want proof.

DOB is much more interesting as it can be stored away and info is just what's needed to increase sales- any info, even what people look at on site. Frankly I think they are mugs as they pay for info but maybe impromptu adds work with some people.

Your data is worth about 25-40 quid on a DMP if it has your postcode and DoB.

I do similar, I always use the same fake DOB online that is nowhere near my real DOB which gets used for banks and official sites only.
For any site that I deem not needing real data - they get fake data, I use an old mobile number thats no longer in use.

Sometimes the example details on the sites works too :)

Yep, fake details on all sites unless government/bank secure ones.

Went to Toys R Us one day and they asked me to confirm my email address. I told them you won't have my email address to confirm it as I have never shopped with you before.
She then rattled off my email address. Had to call the manager because she couldn't delete it from the system and he couldn't tell me how they had it because it was company policy not to divulge sensitive/personal data. I left my purchase and changed my email address. Like these supermarkets that ask for your postcode. When I've asked why, they say things like, "It's purely for data research to see how far you have travelled to reach our store." I always give them an old one from when I lived in Liverpool.

Are you aware that your personal details can easily be forwarded to anyone when your bin is emptied? Read somewhere once that employee's at a recycling centre where secreting papers with personal details, such as old bank statements, loan paperwork, medical appointment/referral letters etc and then selling them on to others. I now make a habit of obliterating any such information with one of these ink rollers that leaves a crazy pattern all over the details. When I shred any documents I then throw them in a bucket of soapy water for about half an hour and then make them into smallish squashed balls of paper mache' that you can't pull apart to get any info. Maybe a little 'paranoid' but it may have saved me a fortune over the years.

LOL Well curiously I bought something mail order recently and that is all they did ask. Twice recently actually.

Go back and read the link I posted about the legal obligations of online retailers in relation to the purchase of age restricted items.

The details required that have annoyed me most is by carriers asking for phone numbers. You may not believe this but it's happened too many times. Enter the correct one and within a week or so nuisance phone calls start again. Rearrange the number a bit and it doesn't happen. I usually use parcel2go or parcelmonkey. Same happens with both. Some times the callers are very persistent so stick the answer phone on 1 ring. They soon give up.

Sponsored Links
Back