Saving electricity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I leave my router and google nest on all the time....is there much electricity to be saved
by switching off at night?

Sponsored Links
Call it 10w for the router, run for 24 hours that will be 240w/hours. I000w/hours generally costs around 28p, so your router costs you 6.72p per day to run.

Is it worth your effort to turn it on and off, morning and night, to save what might be the 2p overnight running costs?

Your nest, running cost figure will be similar. There are much more effective ways to reduce consumption and save money, which you ought to implement first.

and of course that 10w is nearly all heat so for may be 10 months of the year that heat supplements your central heating, not as cheap as gas central heating but non the less you are getting some value back as heat. (may be 40%)
so 6.72p per day summer months, 4p per day rest of the year

edit - snipped out the nonsense - got confuddled with that pesky decimal point

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Call it 10w for the router, run for 24 hours that will be 240w/hours. I000w/hours generally costs around 28p, so your router costs you 6.72p per day to run. Is it worth your effort to turn it on and off, morning and night, to save what might be the 2p overnight running costs?
Indeed (give or take the correct to units that Detlef has mentioned)
Your nest, running cost figure will be similar. There are much more effective ways to reduce consumption and save money, which you ought to implement first.
Very much so. For example, for those using a 10.5 kW electric shower, the same saving (~2p per day) could be achieved by reducing the total duration of showers by about 25 seconds per day. I can't be bothered to do the sums, but imagine that at least the same amount (probably more) could be saved by not boiling more water in kettles than one needed ... etc. etc.

Kind Regards, John

If you switched your kettle off just before it boils (96c instead of 100c) lets say 4 seconds early

2200w / 60 / 60 x 4 x 28p = 6.8p per boil

lets say you boil the kettle 10x per day, so just switching it off 4 seconds earlier (better temp for coffee) this could save a whopping £248 per year (this is a worthwhile saving)

if all kettles in europe were designed to switch off at 96 instead of a 100 we could probably tell putin to shove his gas where the sun does not shine.

What about tea?

If you switched your kettle off just before it boils (96c instead of 100c) lets say 4 seconds early
2200w / 60 / 60 x 4 x 28p = 6.8p per boil
That would be nice but, unfortunately ...

2.2 kW / 60 / 60 x 4 x 28p = 0.068p per boil :)

Nevertheless, as I recently wrote, there are appreciable savings to be had by not boiling more watre than one needs.

Kind Regards, John

if all kettles in europe were designed to switch off at 96 instead of a 100 we could probably tell putin to shove his gas where the sun does not shine!

Problem is, kettles use the boiling of steam to reliably switch themselves off and so need to boil to trip.

That would be nice but, unfortunately ...

2.2 kW / 60 / 60 x 4 x 28p = 0.068p per boil :)

Nevertheless, as I recently wrote, there are appreciable savings to be had by not boiling more watre than one needs.

Kind Regards, John
pesky decimal point thingies - I blame the weather for mad error - scorchio here

pesky decimal point thingies - I blame the weather for mad error - scorchio here
... and here! No problem, and I was not 'criticising' (hands up anyone who has never got a decimal point in the wrong place :) ) - but I thought I should put things right, for the benefit of other readers!

Kind Regards, John

if boiling exactly a cups worth make sure the kettle allows just that amount[element fully covered ] and on pouring the water out refill immediately with the next cup full off water to absorb the residual heat and warm the water towards ambient room temperature

Problem is, kettles use the boiling of steam to reliably switch themselves off and so need to boil to trip.
Indeed, even if his calculation had not made the potential saving 100 times greater than it actually would be :) However, again, I think appreciably savings are to be had by not wasting energy boiling more water than one needs to boil.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, even if his calculation had not made the potential saving 100 times greater than it actually would be :) However, again, I think appreciably savings are to be had by not wasting energy boiling more water than one needs to boil.

Kind Regards, John

It was so much easier when it was LSD money :)

If you turn your router off each night you are likely to experience a significant reduction of line speed as your ISPs routers will react to the dropping connection and try to re-tune your link each morning.

I boil my water with a stove kettle - gas is 1/4 of the price of electricity. Probably slightly less efficient, but not 75% less. And helps warm the room a little in winter.

Last April I started turning off everything not in use and noticed a drop in bills. Not sure how much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back