Scaffold pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if anybody can help please.
I'm trying to take apart a scaffold pole that has a thread on it and the pole is 7" circumference, trying to find something to fit round it is proving difficult can anyone suggest anything

Thanks

Nik
washing pole.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pour some diesel down the thread and allow it time to soak in. Then you might need a chain wrench, with a perhaps second chain wrench to hold the bottom end, to prevent that turning. Top end looks like scaffold pole, base with thread looks like threaded steam pipe.

A rope, folded in two and wrapped several times around the pole, with a bar poked through the end loop, might grip enough to turn it.

Heat the thing up with a propane torch, get it as hot as you can (glowing)....And then use a chain wrench as above.
John :)

Thanks for your suggestions. If I heat it up will it still fit back in once cooled? and what size chain wrench would I need

Many thanks
Nik

Sponsored Links
The threads will be completely unaffected by heat.
Have you a large stilson wrench? Often better than a chain wrench and usually easier to come by!

Thanks John :D
I don't own any stilsons and wouldn't know what size to get to fit round that pole :unsure:

Yes it will fit back in, the heat is just to expand the coupling/ the outer thread and break up the rust seizing up the threads. Chain wrenches are adjustable sizes, you just wrap it around, hook the chain in, then as you turn it tightens and begins to grip the object. A large pair of stilsons(sp?) would also work.

I would try to loosen it without heat first (try diesel), then progress to heat if necessary.

Thanks John :D
I don't own any stilsons and wouldn't know what size to get to fit round that pole :unsure:

I would guess at around 3" diameter / 75mm. Buying either chain wrench for such a one of job will be expensive, beg, borrow or steal, but how do you even know it is tight? Try a simple rope wrench and a bar first, with some diesel soaked in to the thread.

Harry,

I'm guessing it's tight as I've been here for 20 years and how ever long it is when it was put up. looking at it the elements have got to it.
Iv'e tried looking for rope wrench pictures to give me an idea on how to do that but can't find any.

A rope wrench is probably too soft a force, try and clamp a length of scaffold pole to it at 90° if you cant get hold of a 36” stillsons. out of interest whats the pole for?

Harry,

I'm guessing it's tight as I've been here for 20 years and how ever long it is when it was put up. looking at it the elements have got to it.
Iv'e tried looking for rope wrench pictures to give me an idea on how to do that but can't find any.

OK - Best to get the idea with a length of string and a couple of pencils....

If you fold the string in half or even tie the loose ends together, then wrap it several times tightly around a pencil, you will end up with a loop end through which you can poke the 2nd pencil. You then use the second pencil as the lever to force the first pencil to turn. The rope will not slip, because as you apply the lever, the rope tightens onto the pipe. The harder you pull on the lever, the tighter it grips the pipe. It uses the same principle as a chain wrench, but not as good as a chain wrench, but it might work.

It makes it easier to tighten the rope, if the loose end is held in place on the pipe, a bit of duct tape is enough.

In the past I have managed to devise rope wrenches using flexible wire rope, plus a lever.

This is a chain wrench - https://www.toolstation.com/chain-wrench/p56261

You're dealing with heavy duty rusting here, more than likely.......two 3' stillsons, one to turn and one to hold the bottom length.
Edit - Still can't beat the gas axe (y)
J :)

Last edited:
Harry,
I think I get the idea regarding the rope wrench, will give that a go next weekend and see how that goes.

John, I like the idea of the gas axe might use that in conjunction with the rope wrench if I can't get it to budge.

Lostinthelight, It's used as a washing line I live in a top floor flat.

Many thanks for your advice guys will report back on the outcome :D

Nik

Mixing acetone and atf is the best rust antidote but takes a bit of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back