Scantronic Burglar Alarm - How to Clear a Tamper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a power cut today my Scantronic 9427 panel 'Tamper' light is on. How can I clear it and make the alarm usable again?

I have attempted to implement the factory reset process described on page 10 of the closest I can find to my panel, which is available on line here: https://www.paragonfire.co.uk/wp-co...48-intruder-alarm-Install-and-User-manual.pdf.

I get to the 8th step (reprogam the access codes), which I do, but as soon as I come out of program mode the alarm sounds. I then key in the NEW access code, the alarm stops, and the green 'Power' and red 'Tamper' lights stay on. The alarm cannot be set. If I key the access code in at that point I get a single 'beep' from the internal alarm siren.

Probably stupid to mention it, but the Molex pins I shorted in this process are in the control box upstairs... the one containing the big battery! I couldn't find any in the control panel. Also, having Googled, I see that often this type of problem is associated with a dying battery in the control box upstairs. I have lived in the house for 19 years, the battery has never been replaced BUT it seems like an almighty coincidence that it should fail at exactly the same time as we have a power cut.

Very grateful for any assistance on this one. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
A 19 year old battery is possibly the cause of your tamper fault.
You should've replaced battery before you started defaulting the panel. You may have caused yourself more work in solving the problem.
Replace battery first,if fault still present then you will need to look at other possibilities.

Sponsored Links
You should've replaced battery before you started defaulting the panel. You may have caused yourself more work in solving the problem.
Replace battery first,if fault still present then you will need to look at other possibilities.

Accepted, I guess. That seems to be the first suggestion made to similar posts in the past. The battery appeared to power the siren pretty well, though it wasn't as loud as when the mains was connected.

What are the "other possibilities" that you mentioned?

Thanks!

Pete

Possibly? No, an absolute certainty.

Alarm system control panels should have their control panel battery replaced EVERY 4 to 5yrs, more if a problem seems to arise sooner.

Remember, every 4 to 5yrs or expect problems.

OP here. I'd like to thank all the experts who told me to replace the battery. Actually, I have now resolved my issue without replacing the battery. This is how:
  1. Removed mains fuse and disconnected battery in the upstairs box.
  2. Left for 8 hours.
  3. Shorted the reset pins and connected battery
  4. Key-in the factory default user access code: 1234.
  5. The internal sounder stops. Ignore any other lights.
  6. Fit the case lid.
  7. Apply mains power. The Power LED glows steadily.
  8. Key-in 0 then ENTER followed by the factory default engineer access
    code: 7890. All LEDs, except for Power, Fault and Service, flash.
  9. Then full setup
I have a feeling that the most important bit of this is doing steps 3-7 in sequential order.

So, maybe the battery should be replaced anyway, but to those 'experts' who put me down for pointing out the extreme coincidence of the battery failing at exactly the same time as the power cut, I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. :D

I expect I'll get flamed, but hey, ho, my alarm is back and working fine, on its ancient battery.(y) I worked the steps out between the manual and myself, but feel I could have got there sooner with alternative advice to 'change the battery'.

Pete

Coincidence? No such thing with alarm systems.

The battery is the usual fault, cause and effect from one of these 'experts' of 35/40yrs experence

Still if you don't want help? Just carry on in your own sweet way. You have been told what the problem is.

Why visit a Forum to ask questions about something about which you know nothing?

Hi, been following this thread and I had the exact same issue as the OP.
popped in the engineer code, replaced battery in control panel (was about 8 years old)
left engineer mode
all working ok again.

Sparky, I wonder what the most important reading of all is?

Not been mentioned at any time, I wonder if it has ever been heard of by anyone here, I've a couple of meters here that have saved many a problem.

But who cares, I don't, only time will tell who is right

Europlex

ps. I'd just love to do full readings on this system. Still, it won't happen ..........,.,

Just voltage readings, don't you just love em?

Last edited:
Coincidence? No such thing with alarm systems.

The battery is the usual fault, cause and effect from one of these 'experts' of 35/40yrs experence

Still if you don't want help? Just carry on in your own sweet way. You have been told what the problem is.

Why visit a Forum to ask questions about something about which you know nothing?

I kind of expected this. But please reflect on the point that the steps I listed in my last post fully resolved my problem.

When I initially posted my problem, I had hoped that "one of these 'experts' of 35/40yrs experence" (your words, and I'll take you claim at its word) would have been able to suggest those steps at the outset, as the first thing to try.

Because those steps were a no-cost fix. Changing the battery was not. So personally I think it makes sense to try no cost fixes before fixes that cost. And that is the only point I was trying to communicate. I'm sorry if you found it provocative or challenging - not really what I meant (other than to register that I felt it was wrong for me to be put down for hoping for a no-cost fix as the first suggestion).

Peter as explained privately the steps you have taken are not a fix, just a sweep it under the carpet.

As a temporary fix until you get a replacement battery, it is fine, as a proper solution you need to change the battery.

The current battery is not able to sustain the panel properly in the event of a power cut from what you have said.

I suspect you will find out at the next power cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back