Scary!!!

surely he had ABS? and surely if you jam your foot onto the brake hard enough it will overcome the force from the engine? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Turning the engine off may have lost him steering and brakes, and possibly caused the steering lock to operate.

But surely putting it into neutral would have been a no-brainer, then he could have stopped with no problems.

Very good point bas, taking it out of gear would of made him stop eventually, even thou it was a automatic it would still grind to a halt,
Unless he just shi# himself at the time and was'nt thinking :LOL:

He reckons the gear selector was stuck .... and the throttle wide open ??
It will be interesting to see what is found here... I am sceptical of such coincidences..
Or did he mean that the transmission refused to shift to neutral when selected??

Nothing to stop you switching ignition off, one click of the key, then on again if necessary ( if you have a key of course :( ).

I think the driver probably did not brake hard enough at the outset .. cool brakes (I am guessing he was accelerating and not braking before the problem became apparent... is it possible he was actually going 'balls out' anyway ;) .... ) fully on, ignition off. a matter of seconds.. to stop I reckon, sorry, I hope !!

Power assisted items going Tango Uniform .... through loss of hydraulic and/or electrical power ... (NB Probably not when an item jams or falls apart internally.. :eek: )
To those accustomed to power steering or power brakes, a malfunction in the system providing the power may lead the driver to think his brakes or steering have failed. If you suddenly find that steering is becoming much more difficult, or the brakes will not respond when you lightly press the brake pedal .... you can still steer and brake. It takes considerably more effort, but it can be done.

There are some simple methods of testing how this may feel .. preferably at walking pace ... If one cannot think of how to go about that, then be prepared for disaster if, and when a belt or electric motor fails.

;)

Sponsored Links
In the article in Saturday's Times it siad he couldn't get it in neutral for some reason.
Tips provided next to the article did say: DON'T switch of ignition, you'll losse all control, but DO turn the key one notch back: kills engine and power braking, but you keep control over most other things. Plus DO try to gear down

WoodYouLike said:
In the article in Saturday's Times it siad he couldn't get it in neutral for some reason.
Tips provided next to the article did say: DON'T switch of ignition, you'll losse all control, but DO turn the key one notch back: kills engine and power braking, but you keep control over most other things. Plus DO try to gear down

TOL said:
Do not :-
Pull key out of ignition - the steering will lock
Try to use handbrake. "The rear wheels are likely to lock and then it could be "goodnight Vienna"
DO
Shift the car into neutral

Turn the key one notch to kill the engine. You will lose power steering and power-assisted brakes but you will still be able to control the car

The guy reckons the auto-gear shift selector lever wouldn't move, or did he mean the lever moved but nothing happened??

And yes, as advised, ignition off would kill his petrol engine (generally not a diesel tho' !).
Power assisted equipment would become heavy to use, they would feel very, very heavy due to the sudden loss of assist .. But 'work' they should !
As I said, try it on an out of the way lane, on a downhill stretch, from standstill to walking pace -- Once felt, never forgotten.

:D

I also thought the same about him turning the ignition off when I read this....
but I think the police will be doing a full check on his car ...

And yes, as advised, ignition off would kill his petrol engine (generally not a diesel tho' !).

all cars and vans now have solenoid activated pumps so the ignition switch turned one notch would kill engine for sure

this guy need prosecuting for being an idiot or at the very least he needs driver training

wasnt the car he was in a drive by wire one so no throttle cable ?? could have been a puter problem

i have had my throttle jammed on before at 190 + mph then i realised it was me that was keeping it open
:LOL:

Slogger said:

all cars and vans now have solenoid activated pumps so the ignition switch turned one notch would kill engine for sure

this guy need prosecuting for being an idiot or at the very least he needs driver training

wasnt the car he was in a drive by wire one so no throttle cable ?? could have been a puter problem

i have had my throttle jammed on before at 190 + mph then i realised it was me that was keeping it open
:LOL:

Careful Sloggo we have a diesel, pull the 'card' key and sod all happens !! The buqqer rattles onward in the proverbial cloud of carp !
Do I then press the 'stop' button? Well normally that puts the auto-handbrake on - hard ... Don't know if that happens when in motion tho' bit risky to try ... Better had do so tho' .
You really sound like Jimbo these days ...... ;)
:cry: :D :D

The same happened a few years ago to some d*ckhead driving a HGV down the M1, he said he couldn't stop it and the silly plods believed him. Switching off the engine would have stopped it.

empip
tell the truth
you only posted that to tell everyone you got a fancy car ..lol ;) ;)

Moz said:
empip
tell the truth
you only posted that to tell everyone you got a fancy car ..lol ;) ;)

Nah, it belongs to a lease company..
;)

empip
Ill let you off ...lol ;)

did you see that BBC3 show the other night called the Real Hustle show , it has a couple of blokes an a fit bird in it,
showing the real con tricks ,
one the other night was they hired a car an then pretended to sell it at a empty house
an people were handing over big deposits
an when they returned after 6
the house was empty an people gone ..lol..

like a hidden camera show but showing scams , very good it is ... :)
well worth a look ...

BBC3 !! What down here? You'll be lucky, just got leccy light bulbs mate.

Know a tichy bit about blagging motors ... Bro in law made a mint at the car trade, then virtually off the back of a jibe in the local, did the same with property, deffo had the 'midas' touch ... 'never has one man done so little for so much gain', as my old dad would chortle into bro in law's best scotch.
Went on to night clubs, holiday caravan sites .. and would still toss a coin for who paid the petrol on a trip !!
:) :) ;)

lol @ empip..lol..lol..
some blokes are just born lucky I think ...

an talkin about that stripper could she do that trick with the tassles , swinging one ,one way an getting the other swinging the other way ?..lol :)

Sponsored Links
Back