scratched kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
last week i had landscape gardeners in/out the house filling buckets of water in my kitchen sink. Unfortunately when i took the washing up bowl out of the sink(full of water and dishes)i pushed it across the worktop thus scratching it to death as there was lots of little bits of grit stuck to the bottom of the bowl from buckets being in sink.....doh!!
Can i fix or improve appearance? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Probably.

The question is: Do the scratches look white in color? Are the scratches less noticable when the counter top is still damp after wiping it down with a damp rag or damp sponge?

If so, then the answer is: Yes, you could make the scratches much less noticable.

What kind of countertop is it? Plastic laminate, Corian, granite, what? Is there any kind of a clear coating or "varnish" on it?

PS:
A great big Royal Marines "HOOOOAHHHH" goes out to you if you can explain to me why those scratches are white in color and why they're less noticable when they're wet.

told you before her Britannic Majestys Royal Marines DO NOT go HOOOAHHH!

Well, let's see if dazzadwm's scratches are white first and if they're less noticable when they're wet before we celebrate with a great big HOOOOOAAHHHH, or whatever the Royal Marine's say when the occasion calls for it.

Dazzadwm: Please provide more info. What is the counter top made of? Is there any clear coat or "varnish" on top of it that you know of? What color are the scratches and do the appear less noticable when wet?

Sponsored Links
On composite worktops the scratches are sometimes white because the scratch has gone through the melamine and the ink layer on the decorative paper and you're looking at the paper itself. On solid surface (like Corian, Avonite, Schock, Capri, etc) the scratch shows because it is more reflective than the surrounding area - there is more random specular reflection combined with compression damage to the surface of the relatively soft acrylic or acrylic/PU material.

When you wet a top you create a single very flat surface which is more likely to reflect a large percentage of the light hitting it consistently, thus less light hits the scratch where specular reflection from the uneven surfaces would occur. It therefore becomes less noticeable

Or then again maybe it's just a trick of the light.... Who cares?

So what type of worktop is it?

Scrit

Scrit:

Good try. But if you scratch a pane of glass, why is the scratch also white in colour?

Nestor

I don't particularly care what the exact science is behind why the scratch shows - (part of) my job is to disguise that scratch, so I'm mpre concerned with removal and camouflage. Note that I say disguise, not hide, as that is the key word for most types of worktop - although there are exceptions.

Scrit

i think the glass thing is to do with the way light bounces off a sheet of glass....refractive index and all that....light hitting glass head on, almost all the light passes through, but when it hits the glass at an acute angle, the glass acts like a mirror thus bouncing most of the light off. thats why obscure glass works so well cause of the light deviation..... i think....its a long time since i did O level physics!!!

Scrit & Noseall:

The trick here is to know and understand that the percentage of light that is reflected at a boundary is dependant on the refractive indices on both sides of the boundary. The more similar the refractive indices are, the lower the percentage of light reflected at the boundary. So, if we can change the situation at the scratched surface so that the material on both sides of it have similar refractive indices, less light will be reflected by the scratched surface and more of that light will continue on into the counter top material where it will be absorbed. This will have the effect of making the scratches less noticable because it will make light behave more like it did before the counter top was scratched.

read on...

MOST scratches will be white in color because the rough surface of the scratch both reflects and refracts incident light. So, what you'll be seeing from the scratch are different frequencies of light coming from different surfaces on that rough scratch, and your eye sees the combined effect of all those different colors as the colour "white". That's why most scratches will be either white in color.

If this counter top has some sort of varnish or clear coating applied over it, then the fix would be to simply apply more varnish or whatever clear coating was applied before to fill in the scratch with more of that same.

However, if there is no such varnish or clear coat on it, then the next best option is to use any clear drying coating to fill the scratch, such as Tile Lab's "Gloss Sealer & Finish". This is an acrylic grout sealer that dries to a very hard and transparent colorless film.

By doing that, you cover the rough surface of the scratch with a material (clear acrylic plastic, in this case) that has a much higher refractive index than air. As a result, when incident light hits the surface of the acrylic plastic, some of it will be reflected, just as you have on the smooth surface of the counter top, and some of the incident light will enter the clear acrylic plastic. However, when the portion that enters the plastic encounters the surface of the scratch, much less of it will be reflected (because the refractive index of hard solid plastic would be more similar to that of hard plastic laminate) and much more of it will enter the plastic laminate where it will be absorbed.

That is, by making the refractive index on both sides of the scratch surface more similar, then you change the way light behaves at that scratches surface. Instead of the MAJORITY of the light being scattered due to the rough surface and you're eye seeing white light, much less of the light will be reflected back to your eye and more of it will go in a straighter line (less refraction cuz of more similar refractive indices) into the countertop material where it'll be absorbed.

So, if the surface of the counter top is high gloss, use a plastic repair material that dries to that kind of gloss surface. If it's matt, do the same.
By filling that scratch with a clear plastic solid, you change the way light behaves back to something more similar to the way it behaved prior to the counter top being scratched. And, the result will be that the scratches won't be as visible or noticable.

Hope this helps.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Scrit & Noseall:

The trick here is to know and understand that the percentage of light that is reflected at a boundary is dependant on the refractive indices on both sides of the boundary. The more similar the refractive indices are, the lower the percentage of light reflected at the boundary. So, if we can change the situation at the scratched surface so that the material on both sides of it have similar refractive indices, less light will be reflected by the scratched surface and more of that light will continue on into the counter top material where it will be absorbed. This will have the effect of making the scratches less noticable because it will make light behave more like it did before the counter top was scratched.

read on...

MOST scratches will be white in color because the rough surface of the scratch both reflects and refracts incident light. So, what you'll be seeing from the scratch are different frequencies of light coming from different surfaces on that rough scratch, and your eye sees the combined effect of all those different colors as the colour "white". That's why most scratches will be either white in color.

If this counter top has some sort of varnish or clear coating applied over it, then the fix would be to simply apply more varnish or whatever clear coating was applied before to fill in the scratch with more of that same.

However, if there is no such varnish or clear coat on it, then the next best option is to use any clear drying coating to fill the scratch, such as Tile Lab's "Gloss Sealer & Finish". This is an acrylic grout sealer that dries to a very hard and transparent colorless film.

By doing that, you cover the rough surface of the scratch with a material (clear acrylic plastic, in this case) that has a much higher refractive index than air. As a result, when incident light hits the surface of the acrylic plastic, some of it will be reflected, just as you have on the smooth surface of the counter top, and some of the incident light will enter the clear acrylic plastic. However, when the portion that enters the plastic encounters the surface of the scratch, much less of it will be reflected (because the refractive index of hard solid plastic would be more similar to that of hard plastic laminate) and much more of it will enter the plastic laminate where it will be absorbed.

That is, by making the refractive index on both sides of the scratch surface more similar, then you change the way light behaves at that scratches surface. Instead of the MAJORITY of the light being scattered due to the rough surface and you're eye seeing white light, much less of the light will be reflected back to your eye and more of it will go in a straighter line (less refraction cuz of more similar refractive indices) into the countertop material where it'll be absorbed.

So, if the surface of the counter top is high gloss, use a plastic repair material that dries to that kind of gloss surface. If it's matt, do the same.
By filling that scratch with a clear plastic solid, you change the way light behaves back to something more similar to the way it behaved prior to the counter top being scratched. And, the result will be that the scratches won't be as visible or noticable.

Hope this helps.

heeelllooo Nestor_Kelebay hows it going

now i understand about light refraction and the fact that oil in water and cds give you the colours of the rainbow all very interesting ;)
now with the people on this british forum using different terms for a lot of things and there bussy life styles restricting there time
a less descriptive but with the relivent information would realy be appreciated
this is not a critisism as a lot of my answers are long winded :rolleyes:
i just think a less technical more informative answer would be easier to read and greatly appreciated :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Big-All:

OK, How's this:

The reason why the scratch is so apparant and visible is because it reflects so much light off it's rough surface, which you see as "white light".

By filling the crack with clear solid plastic, then the refractive indices on both sides of the scratched surface will be more similar, and the result will be less light reflected and more light travelling into the countertop where it will be absorbed.

Since you see less light coming from the scratch, it won't be as noticable just like you notice cars with their headlights on easier than those without, even during the day.

fantastic great thanks :LOL: :LOL: ;)

very informative and less sore on your two typing fingers if your like me ;) ;)

Big-All:

I'm a touch typist. I type about 45 to 50 words a minute. I took typing as an elective in high school, and it's been the one thing I learned in high school that I've actually used during my life.

My posts would be considerably shorter if I had to use the "hunt and peck" method of typing. ;)

well thankfully now my 2 braincells allow my one finger to automaticly find the correct letter [i am ambidextrous with one finger :D :D :D ]

gone are the days [2 years ago now] when it was
clunk-------------------------------clunk-----------------------------------clunk-------------------------clunk

and i would take so long to post on the screwfix forum that it would time out after half an hour :oops: :oops: :oops:
and i would have to do it all again usually in a greatly reduced version :D :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back