Screwing deck boards in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built rather a splendid and complex grid of timbers to support my very slightly elevated deck of around 60 sq meters. I take delivery of the deck boards this week.

Issue: I know I'm going to make adjustments around a number of 45 degree angles (for instance around the conservatory) and I'm bound to have to remove boards time and again to line up many complex angles. Should I just screw each board down with as few screws as possible so removal is easy? Say one end and the other so I can make all my adjustments? I intend to make final end-cuts with my circular saw at the end of the project, after I'm done and dusted and screwed everything neatly down. The boards will slightly overhang by 20mm or so.

I want all my screws to be very precise and all line up like a proper OCD handyman. Screwing the vast majority at the end of the project seems a good idea? However, I want to maintain a neat gap too between boards.

I just can't think this through properly...

Finally, I assume that I screw every board every time it crosses a joist with 2 x screws, yes?

Thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Callum, Solihull.

Sponsored Links
putting two screws will encourage it to split between them, as it tries to expand and contract with the weather.

Sponsored Links
Back