Screws working loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a cupboard door under my stairs, the screws in the top butt hinge on the door are forever working loose. Is there something i can put on the screws to lock them in the soft wood frame

Sponsored Links
i assume the door binds near the top hinge and levers the hinge and screws out??

Or the door is open too far causing leverage against the hinge.
Or the screws used are too small.
Or you lean a broom/mop handle in the corner trapping it when door is opened.
Or the hinges are out or line.
Or bigall is correct.

Or the door is too heavy or too wide.
With any door, the top hinge tends to be pulled out and the bottom hinge tends to be pushed in.

Sponsored Links
The door is not too big, everything is in line and there is no fouling at all, maybe longer screws would be better. At work you tie wire bolts together to stop backing out, is there a screw you can use that has some sort of anti rotation facility on it.

So when you close the door, it doesn't have a tendency to bounce open again?
Try a heavier gauge of screw, or even PVA glue the existing ones in!
John :)

Door closes freely and is held with a magnetic catch, will try longer/slightly bigger screws with some glue on them

Wood screws dont unscrew they get pulled out thru lack of grip [too small a screw used] or due to undue leverage against them [you said this is not the case].

The door is not too big, everything is in line and there is no fouling at all, maybe longer screws would be better. At work you tie wire bolts together to stop backing out, is there a screw you can use that has some sort of anti rotation facility on it.
If the screw head is large enough you can pin it with a brad to prevent rotation.
There are also threaded inserts that present a large wood screw thread to the jamb and a machine screw thread to the hinge screw, which is now a machine screw. Then you use Loktite to secure the machine screw.

they don't exist

they are anti vibration on bolts
screws will not turn out under any normal circumstance they will only pull out through excessive load or insufficient grip

what size off screw have you used and has it an unthreaded portion on the shaft
how thick is the wood
what sort off hinges have you used
did you countersink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back