Sealing off a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
We are having two wardrobes fitted in alcoves either side of a chimney breast and in one of the alcoves is an older style (70s?) double socket with on/off switches. What I hadn't realised was the way the carpenter is building the cupboards, he's made carcasses to fit exactly - which, of course, won't go past the power points. We don't need this one any more anyhow so...

We've just moved areas and don't know any friendly local electricians. In any case, I guess they'd have weeks of bookings. The carpenter has offered to remove the socket (with the power to the house off) and tape up the connections before putting the wardrobe into place (it's MDF if that's of any relevance). He has done electrics himself at home I think but isn't qualified. Realistically, is this highly dangerous? Or is it something we can probably get away with?

If I need to try to find an electrician to do this, it'll delay work and the carpenter is about to go into hospital. Help! (if I do find an electrician, how long should it take/how much might it cost? I do need one for other work in the house but wasn't planning to sort it for a few weeks).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Taping up connections is certainly not how it should be done. This contravenes the regs in many many ways in addition to being dangerous.

It sounds to me like you are putting non fitted wardrobes in, is this correct?
If so then you could join the two ring main wires together and insulate them. If done properly then this could be left exposed and you wouldn't need a socket face on. One way to do it would be to crimp them and use heat shrink tubing, followed by electrical tape, the alternative is to use chock block in a small chock block box that will fit in the socket box.

If the wardrobes are fitted then you can't do this because you leave live wires in the wall with no indication that they are there.

How many houses have an indication of live wires buried in the walls?

If they are fitted wardrobes then you could ask your joiner to cut out a hole the same size as a socket back box in the wardrobe, and then refix the socket in the new wardrobe.

No problem of the socket obstructing the wardrobe, and socket and connections remain accesible.

Sponsored Links
Can't you just choc bloc the ends and cover the socket with a blanking plate - they don't stick out more than a few mm

You need to be aware of what philrosenberg says about there being no indication of live wires in the wall if the socket wires are jointed and covered.

I agree with RF lighting, there must be a way the joiner can install the wardrobes to accommodate the double socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back