4 cables in double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I’m after a bit of advice, please.

I’m building a walk-in-wardrobe in my daughter’s bedroom and at the moment there is a double socket where the wardrobe will go, and will probably become pointless.

I was thinking of moving the socket so it could still be used or even just removing it and putting a junction box under the floorboards.

The problem is that I have found that there are 4 cables going into it.
We had an extension done a couple of years ago and I’m assuming that the electrician used this socket to loop the new sockets in the extension to and from. Ie a ring off a ring, if that makes sense?

I can’t understand why he would’ve done that though, rather than removing one cable out and connecting it to one of the new sockets then continuing the ring of new sockets then back to the original said socket?
Is there any reason why he would do that? Maybe the new complete ring would’ve been too long? Or is it just laziness n bad practice?

Anyway, am I best to just leave it as it is and not worry about it? Or should I do what I thought he should’ve done in the first place by reconfiguring the circuit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I have found that there are 4 cables going into it.
We had an extension done a couple of years ago and I’m assuming that the electrician used this socket to loop the new sockets in the extension to and from. Ie a ring off a ring, if that makes sense?
He might have done but it is not the ideal way to do it although not inherantly dangerous, it makes testing difficult.
Much more likely is that the two extra cables just go to one socket each. Are there any nearby which have only one cable?

Anyway, am I best to just leave it as it is and not worry about it? Or should I do what I thought he should’ve done in the first place by reconfiguring the circuit?
You will have to find out what arrangement it actually is before any alterations should be made.

Have you the means to even determine which two cables are the primary ring?

It could be a radial circuit.
What size cable is it and what rating is the protective device, fuse or MBC?

Yes, I know which are the 2 original cables (primary ring)

All are 2.5mm

All other sockets have 2 cables.

Ring circuit is RCD protected as are all other circuits.

Is it worth altering? I can fairly easily remove one of the original cables and take it straight to the 1st new socket and therefore remove the cable that goes from this socket to the original socket, leaving a complete ring circuit.

What are the pros and cons in altering it or leaving it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, do not alter.

If it is a ring on a ring (figure of 8 ) then both need to be connected, otherwise you will have one spur with only one 2.5mm² on a 32A MCB with an unknown number of sockets.

Yes, but they will all still be connected in a ring because all the new sockets will still all be connected in turn back to the old socket which I’m talking about.

Excuse the crude diagram! Hope this explains what I mean!
Obviously the number of sockets isn’t accurate!

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 425
I am disappointed. I thought you said it was a crude diagram?

:sneaky:

Yes, but they will all still be connected in a ring because all the new sockets will still all be connected in turn back to the old socket which I’m talking about.
Yes, but you are not certain that is what has been done.

Either you’re super impressed with my diagram, or you were expecting something completely different!

Here’s a photo of the socket when all the original sockets were working and the new ones were all connected up together but not actually connected up to the mains.

Attachments

• A5C02834-735D-4556-88AD-9FE62AE03136.jpeg
    A5C02834-735D-4556-88AD-9FE62AE03136.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 307
I had expected you to leave all four cables at the socket, and do joints with connector blocks, but your diagram does look a 'tidier' way of doing it.

Assuming your diagram is correct, then all looks ok to me.

I would personally correct the ring final circuit, so it is a traditional ring, but would only advise this if it can be proven to be safe and compliant and all testing is carried out by a competent/skilled person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Really appreciate it.

Can I just ask is there a reason he would’ve chosen to do it this way?

Would it have just been so that the original sockets could still have power while he was putting the cabling in for the extension? And then a quick connection later?

I’m assuming there’s no advantage of the ‘figure of 8’ configuration?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back