search site facility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a site search facility /box / I've just joined the site & spent a while peeking before I joined and can't seem to locate one for hob extractor fans

The hob extractor in question is a Howden extractor Lamona range HJA2420

I'm after the fitting instructions .. the builders didn't leave any when they did the kitchen four years ago . For some reason the darn thing seems to be on recirculate instead of extract to outside. ( We've got the mould to prove it :cry: ) .

I'm thinking that the flexi vent tube has either partly come off or developed a split before it goes through the ceiling boards as it blows out like a hurricane internally at the top vents and also moves the louvres slightly on the external outlet cover.

I'm after the fitting instructions to see how I can take the covers off to check things out .

Thanks

Plantoid

Sponsored Links
In my experience The Lamona fitting instruction are normally pants anyway.
Are wanting to dismantle it, to gain access to the flue outlet?

Yes I want to see how it dismantles . The chimney cover goes through an overhead shelf /facia so it is not a simple case of pulling it away from the wall .

It seems to me it may entail taking the darn thing to bits and sliding things down to the hob , hence my asking for instructions .

Though if you have any sound advice I'd be eternally grateful .

Plantoid

So it's a chimney type with flue and vent fins at the top of the stack then.
If so you would normally find fixing screws at the side of the stack top and bottom left and right. May also be a couple if it is an adjustable one, near the middle.
The stack should come off, without removing the main section of the hood, this will give you access to the duct arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Yup a good look tells me there are no screws on show , they might be hiding behind some finishing architrave that hides the badly fitted over shelf .

I think I'll get the step ladder out tomorrow and give it a double decoke as there is so much grease on the cupboard tops I'd be stuck like a fly on fly paper. :eek:

I did wonder why the grease filter screen was hardly dirty even after four years of being installed. It makes sense now .... any particles were being blown around the kitchen from escaping air out the top grille instead of having the chance of being drawn in and captured by the filter screen.

The cupboard tops are much much greasier even though they were all spring cleaned to being like new in April this year.

When cleaned ( hate working in creasy crap ) I'll gently deconstruct the shelf and architraves trying not to dislodge the tiled splash back & see what transpires from there.

if you can post a picture, it may help us, to help you.
There is normal a screw fixing at the base of stack (left and right) and at top (that generally screws to an internal bracket). Occasionally there is no fixing at the bottom and it is slotted in.
They would be hardly visible from floor level.
I assume the stack's in two section and you have grille fins at the top of the stack.
Your model is not list on Howdens website.

It is on the Howden site as the Lamona Curved Glass Extractor It's the second one with the one piece filter plate ( the first has a split filter set )

The sticky label inside the unit on the motor states it is the HJA 2420 It's referred to on some of the spares companies as this number as well .

I've put some pictures up in my images . I think your right that the lower front cover will slide in as I can't see any kind of evidence of screws even in the slight gaps around the chimney between the chip board shelf and the metal of the chimney .

I watched the video on the second picture .. It looks like there might be a tiny screw behind the tile grouting at the top chimney extension behind the coving and some in the top of the lower chimney EEEK!

I might just have to get my " Magic Master "out and disintegrate the grouting & coving very carefully indeed. :cry:

I've also discovered the site search button :oops: .

I must have been too engrossed with my request for help to have noticed it. :LOL:

I didn't see the last post as I was taking pictures and then I edited my posts.

Yes I concur ...the coving might well have been put up after the chimney and cabinets were put in place. They did it whilst I was having treatment in hospital 26 miles away

See my last post but one.

@ PrenticeBoyofDerry,

Hi yet again sorry to be such a pest there is more to this darn chimney than meets the eye. :oops:

I think the extractor is supposed to be fixed to the wall at mere 700 mm above the hob. this one is a tad over 780mm , if this is true I can see why the cover might not come off.

I've added more pictures in a dated folder "Sunday 1 Dec 13 "

Having cut the grout away with my Magic-mate I found no retaining screws at either the top or bottom of the lower chimney finishing cover .

Do know if the folded seam you talked of is a folded over one that looks a bit like a pair of hands & fingers hooked into each other ( bit like two butchers hooks sort of over lapping seam )?

I couldn't slide this cover up reasonably easy so thinking it may be fastened by a folded seam to the top inner chimney sleeve (the one with the vents in) I whizzed out a bit of coving .

Yup ... I found it just like you suggested, but with a cross threaded burred out British Standard Chinese soft as lead Phillips type pair of almost self tapper screws , one in each hole either side of the inner chimney at the top .
I eventually got them out only to find that the inner chimney is rock solid . Perhaps it's fastened at the lower end to the carcass of the extractor frame

In the end I did a bit of judicious playing with pieces of wood lathe and some blocks of wood , then managed to ease the lower outer cover up . It eventually went up 145 mm and still the :rolleyes: thing is held fast , though the upper top edge does feel as though it is free to about half way down

I have to start asking you more questions ( or indeed anyone who plays with such things )

Do you have any idea of roughly how far does the slide / lip extends from the cowl of the extractor ?
I can try and cut the ceiling board from around the chimney using the Magic -mate and sliding the whole chimney thing up into the roof void for another 200mm or so . Do you think this would give me enough clearance to get the chimneys off the unit

OR

If I take off a row of 100 mm tiles immediately above the hood of the extractor will this enable me to slide the whole unit up IF it is hung on a set of simple screw heads in elongated holes in the back plate or if the unit hangs on a bracket with upwards facing spurs/ spigots on it to locate the unit .

Then whilst it is free hanging try and slide the covers off the whole unit?

This last option is going to be very difficult for me as I'm almost one armed due to a bust up left shoulder joint , a couple of bits of serious damage in the lower spine and two arthritic knees
(Will have to see if my lass can do it :LOL: )

What do you suggest the first or second option ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back