seat belt advert...

A seatbelt did this to me.

If I hadn't been wearing it, I might be dead.

05032006080-1-2-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Many drivers believe an air bag is now sufficient to save their life in a crash. This is nonsense. Without a seat belt, the pyrotechnic charge that inflates the air bag will occur closer to your face, thus causing possible burns (from friction and the charge). Also, the body will simply plough through the air bag and deflate it, you'll still hit the steering wheel.

And I believe the way a modern seat belt works is on impact, pretensioners fire which tense up the belt, then the mechanism "gives" slightly as the load on the belt increases.

Sponsored Links
[Looks at Rob's bruise]

"I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow........"

i agree with all of you that wearing a seatbelt is crucial.... i feel almost naked without a seatbelt on, even in a cab.

My point is the message that the advert gives, that not wearing a belt will mean your lungs will tear as they go through your ribs, whereas if you wear a seatbelt, that won't happen.
Surely, a seatbelt is far more likely to break your ribs than an airbag or your windscreen?

And as for the argument that a seatbelt slows down your internal organs by slackening a bit.... i doubt it has much effect at 40/45 mph

Surely, a seatbelt is far more likely to break your ribs than an airbag or your windscreen?

And as for the argument that a seatbelt slows down your internal organs by slackening a bit.... i doubt it has much effect at 40/45 mph
Without the seatbelt, you hurtle forwards at pre-impact speed until you hit something that stops you. The impact may be at a single point, rather than spread along a fairly wide area of you body which is reasonably capable of absorbing it. Your legs and feet may hurtle into the footwell, which may be coming back towards you and folding up as a result of the impact. Your body will be rattling about inside the tin box, and bits of it might protrude through the openings.

With the belt, your deceleration commences as soon as the vehicle hits something, and continues while the vehicle crumples (absorbing impact and losing speed) and continues while the belt stretches. If the belt cracks a few of your ribs, you probably won't mind much. You will not rattle about like a frog in a blender.

So you don't stop with such a jolt.

I too have survived a borderline crash. I was belted.

Princess Diana was inside one of the world's safest and most advanced cars. She wasn't belted and didn't survive. Silly cow.

Yes, it's notable that the only survivor from that crash was the only belted passenger.

Pictures of her former husband taken later that same day showed him travelling in the back of a car without his seatbelt on, contrary to the law and to all good sense.

Sponsored Links
Back