Sector CU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know anything about these awful boards - its been a bad day working with one. Are they someone elses rebadged? - just so I know who to avoid. Can you get a replacement decent earth bar that'll take 16mm2?

I'm struggling to get the customer to change the board for a decent one with space so I can sort out a complete rats nest. He's complaining about the cost of a new board but I reckon by the time I've sorted the Sector out a new board'll be cheaper - but if he is happy paying by the hour - what the hell!

Sponsored Links
Is it a Sector GE board? Thought most boards will take a 16mm²?

It just says Sector - with Sector Series E MCB's - no sign of a BS number on them at all. Wonder what standard they were made to? I understand it's about 5 - 8 years old - the only way it'll take 16mm is to split the strands which I don't want to do. I'd like something within the rats nest to look professional not more DIY bodging

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparks123 - looks like GE on the CU shot through my crap monitor; the MCB shot shown is identical.

I have seen a small copper briges that fits between two of the earth terminals, I thin in an MK board, although quick searches on the net have failed so far to locate them. Alternative - use two 10mm cables !

From what I can gather, the ones on the left of the photo in my previous post are made to BS EN 60898. The ones on the right appear to be identical, just rebadged for Rexel Senate.
Are you struggling to get a 16mm² in, afaict the earth rails are meant to accept a 16mm² conductor.

Spark123 - great photo - exactly it. Can't find anywhere that'll do a earth bar on its own - although waiting a call back from GE.

It looks like I've led a charmed life and not come across this before when upgrading bonding earthing. Most round here seem to be Memera that have a clamp connector for the main incoming earth or MK/Wylex that have a large enough earth bar.

What does anyone else do? - apart from a new CU. It looks like my customer may have no option - hopefully he'll still pay by the hour for the CU change and the many problems that will probably uncover.

as equitum said just use a pair of 10mm cables for the connection from your earth block to the CU.

I've used these before and I agree they're cr*p.

To get a 16mm earth in the bar, remove the screw completely and the cable will fit in the hole. But the screw will not go back in because there is an unthreaded bit on the end. You'll need to cut or grind this off so that the thread goes right to the end of the screw, then it will fit and you'll be able to tighten it.

Needless to say I don't use the any more.

Hugh

I've installed literally into three figures of Steeple boards (Denmans own brand of GE) and never had this problem.

Secure - I can only assume that the new ones have an earth bar that'll take 16mm - this old one certainly wont even if I grind the grub screw flat.

Here is the page from the 1999 GE catalogue, they sell terminals which can be used to up the capacity to 35mm², the earth bars are quoted as being suitable for 16mm², is it possible you have 25mm²?
Image0002.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back