securing to concrete celling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i wanted to install a flourscent light to my kitchen celling but i live in a block of flats and the celling is concrete can any one please tell me what method to use or what fixings

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Depends how deep it is. You don't need very deep holes to get a good fixing in concrete.

If it's a flat with a concrete ceiling, the likelihood is there will be at least one BESA box buried in the concrete, connected to conduit carrying the supply cables.

When you took down the old fitting, what were the screws like?

Be very careful, a few years ago I was putting a light up for a friend in a block of flats with concrete ceilings.
I drilled no more than an inch into ceiling, then bang, went through a conduit carrying upstairs ring main.
Not a good day :LOL:

No pics unfortunately, it was before decent camera phones were around.
Can't believe how unlucky I was, I thought any upstairs conduits would have been well away from ceiling below.
Fortunately I had singles in the van and managed to pull in a new loop.
Very wary of drilling into concrete ceilings now :LOL:

Steel conduit?

I drilled a ceiling once and was met with a trickle of water. Turned out the flat above had had a wet room installed, it was leaking, water was finding its way through the slab, and stopping at the rendered ceiling. All the render had to come off to allow it to dry out, and as it was feared the render would pop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back