Selco - massive problem with click & collect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Selco system is pants; it only recognises 'in stock' and 'not in stock': so if a depot only has 1 of an item in stock at your chosen depot it will let you buy 22 if that's the amount required. There is no '21 of this item only available for next day delivery' message option in their online facility. And because 1 is available it goes on to tell you to collect ALL of them in half an hour.

Some of the staff are a bit hazy on this; when I could only find a single wall unit clad panel in my local branch I was told that the computer was showing stock and if I used Click & Collect that someone would fish some others out for me. So I did, on my phone. Selco online allowed payment and confirmed a half hour wait. So I glecked about for half an hour and was then told "No, we don't have them".

Their system recognises zero as zero, but if ANY number of an item is present it flags this up effectively as 'unlimited stock', which could in reality mean that when you try to collect you'll be inconvenienced. I was, twice.

If you try, online, to check availability in a certain wharehouse and they have a item showing as present, regardless of quantity, the item will show as in stock in whatever quantity you require, as many as you want, because whilst the actual volume required is not present, one ore two are. And you won't know until you have paid and then show up...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Same problems at B&Q .
Don’t use click and collect at any store, it’s more of an ad gimmick .

It's quite a common problem with many retailers using separate inventory systems. I often buy from Toolstation Click & Collect and ask my other half to pick up as she travels around a town as part of her job -- most of the time it's problem-free. I like it.

Unfortunately though Toolstation treat telephone orders and online orders separately. They also store all of them on paper printed out for the day which creates problems for staff less used to administration and order handling.

I will sometimes make two or three orders for one collection (when all in stock). Times she's gone to collect it and only been given one order because the system they have will see my name on the sheet and only show the most recent order rather than a summary of pending collections.

Sponsored Links
They are and they are very on the ball with showing ID too! I do find them to be more expensive on like-for-like lines though.

Hi Dain1, we have noticed your comment so thought we would reply. We are aware of the glitch in the system which you have highlighted and are working hard to resolve this, along with improving the general online experience for our customers. We have some big changes and exciting new initiatives which are coming in for 2019 which we are confident will have huge benefits for all our customers. If you have any further questions, please let us know. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back