A Shed's Ordering System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought something on-line for Click and Collect from a local store.

Subsequently got an email, a snippet of which I have posted here:

upload_2020-1-2_2-53-42.png

We went on the 31st and arrived at 1830. It was shut.
You think the system would recognise the "available to collect from" date and print the correct opening hours. No, it failed to recognise that it was NYE and the opening hours were shorter.

So we went again today.

"Oh, sorry Sir....you only have an order acknowledgement email there. The item has not been received yet."

"But the email gives me a time to collect the item. Why would you send me that if the item was not in store?"

"I know. It's not right...."

I don't know how this firm actually sells anything.

You couldn't make it up....

Sponsored Links
Most companies, at time of ordering, say to wait until you have another email to say it has arrived and ready to collect. The email snippet you've shown is just for info but not a collection email as far as I can tell.

I would see it as a collection email. It gives the time and date that you can collect it on.
If this particular store is one that used to be on the high st, but is now inside a larger store, I can vouch for their crap system. We have tried on line to click and order only to find there is up to a 3 day wait for said item to be delivered to store. You then wait the stated time delay, go to the store and find out it arrived 2 days ago and someone has now bought your order because you didn't collect it. Let's be honest, I'm talking about Argos though others do seem to operate on similar lines.

I have also been infuriated by going to a shop to buy something only to find they don't have any in stock. You are then told to order on line, where you will often then be charged a delivery cost. I 'sometimes' ask them to order the item for me but the usual answer is they can't because the system doesn't work like that. No wonder high street shops are closing down everywhere. When I want/need to buy something I prefer to physically see the item in 3D in front of me and actually feel it, handle it, inspect it etc, not rely on some advertisers description of how it is the best thing since sliced bread, only to find it's crap.

It doesn't say on the email that it's arrived.
I wonder if on the rest of the email or at time of ordering it says to expect another 'it's arrived' email. This now is standard as far as I can tell by my own experiences when ordering online for collection.

I've never had a problem with argos, but then I've probably bought about 5 things from there in my lifetime. Not a shop that does much for me :)

Sponsored Links
Here's another snippet of the email:

upload_2020-1-2_9-46-21.png

Make of that what you will.

How can the email be "just for info" when they cannot guarantee the accuracy of that information?
If you need to wait for an acknowledgement email before collecting your item, why do they put a collection time and date on the first email?

STFF. No! It doesn't!

EDITED FOR CLARITY.

Last edited:
Perhaps I just order more online than some? I'm used to knowing I have to wait for an item to arrive - and an email to tell me that it's arrived.
To say that an item has arrived and can be collected at the time of ordering would lead to disappointment if something goes wrong - and many more a wasted trip.

The info you were supplied about collecting at 1pm simply tells me that they don't sort out their deliveries/orders until that time and not to go until then when you get your email to say it's arrived.. It's the same for M&S, it's even the same for a repeat script from my doc - can collect from 2pm onwards.

Tell me Secure - did it say at anytime during your ordering process to expect another email to say when it's arrived? I bet it did and you just missed it!! If not, then yes, they are muppets.

As I said before, it didn't.
The only thing it said was:

upload_2020-1-2_19-39-8.png

It did not make it at all clear that you had to wait for a second email.

The info you were supplied about collecting at 1pm simply tells me that they don't sort out their deliveries/orders until that time and not to go until then when you get your email to say it's arrived.
But they gave me a time AND a date to collect!!

Did you get it ordered in, or just reserve a stock item?
Ordered in.

But they gave me a time AND a date to collect!!

Whoever you ordered it from should be clearer. However, it is normal practice with online shopping to get an email to say things have arrived. I honestly thought that was common knowledge :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Common knowledge is often only learnt from experience, either your own or by seeing what happens to others.

Some people, (not referring to the OP), are often blind to what happens in the world so don't gain that knowledge.

This is what I normally get when I order things in. The confirmation shows when it should be ready but you have to wait for the confirmation.
C0609322-5094-4C5B-9330-888B83E5D631.jpeg

4FBEF3E5-301D-4016-8A87-E07D216C8651.jpeg

That's how it should be, Motty.
Trust JLP to get it right.
If they can, why not others?

Sponsored Links
Back