Savers

Go back and read the link I posted about the legal obligations of online retailers in relation to the purchase of age restricted items.
The following is a guide to possible steps and precautions that retailers could adopt to assist with age verification. However, it should be noted that these may not be suitable for some situations and retailers will need to assess what steps are suitable and appropriate to their individual circumstances. Retailers may be able to develop other methods of age verification.

No point in replying to your latest. By all means ignore the intro at the top of the page. And if you want real info go find the actual law rather than web garbage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The following is a guide to possible steps and precautions that retailers could adopt to assist with age verification. However, it should be noted that these may not be suitable for some situations and retailers will need to assess what steps are suitable and appropriate to their individual circumstances. Retailers may be able to develop other methods of age verification.

"Duty of retailers
It is the responsibility of retailers to ensure they do not sell age-restricted products online to people who are under the minimum legal age. This means setting up effective systems capable of verifying the age of potential purchasers to ensure they are above the minimum legal age to purchase a product. When making an assessment of such systems account should be taken of legal requirements to take all reasonable precautions and to exercise all due diligence to avoid committing an offence. These legal requirements are a retailer's defence in consumer protection legislation.

Such systems should be regularly monitored and updated as necessary, to identify and rectify any problems or weaknesses in the system or to keep pace with advances in available technology.

Generally speaking, there is no definitive answer as to what constitutes taking all reasonable precautions or exercising all due diligence. However, past court case decisions in relation to other areas of consumer protection have established that a retailer's defence is more likely to fail if positive steps or precautions are not taken, resulting in a conviction.

Risk analysis, including the investigation of the options available to overcome risks, is required to identify and investigate what precautions and steps could be taken."

Your turn.

Your data is worth about 25-40 quid on a DMP if it has your postcode and DoB.

It's crazy world isn't it. I think it's a bit like the dot com bubble on shares. At some point they may find it all isn't as worth while as they think.

I started to do a Sainsbury's on line order recently. After 20min I kicked it into touch, Super easy to find all the things I didn't want but not the ones I did. What finished it for me was that my wife wanted some dried fruit for cakes etc. Thought I had found what they had and then found that I hadn't. Same happened with other things so gave up.

;) I left some feedback not that it will help. If I go into a store I don't find it too difficult to find what shelf the stuff will be on so why isn't it possible to buy on line the same way.

Amazon search can be fun as well. That one will choose what to show. Same thing via google might bring up different items. Select lowest price first and usually brings up lots of things only vaguely related. Trying to get precise results via amazons is tricky to say the least. Then there is google on most things.

Sponsored Links
Feckin hell what a bunch of old crazy old paranoid naive farts! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It pays to be.

Yesterday , I got a text from Three (three text their customers regularly), telling me that my last bill payment had failed, and that I had to follow the link to update my account information.

None of the usual poor English , spelling, grammar, or sense that makes such scams obvious.

But, it could have fooled someone into putting their banking details into the crim's website.

And of course, they got to me via my mobile number , and knew I was a three customer.

My son paid a deposit on an electric pushbike recently. Decent deal on the web. I asked him if he had used google maps and street view to check the place exists. :) He was a bit niffed and I wonder if he did check that way shortly after. Afraid in some cases I would before paying or ordering anything.

:) I also suggested that he might like to buy a motor cycle type rain suite.

Last time he used his current bike was B'ham, around the welsh coast and back again about 5 years ago. Rusted up since.

It doesn't matter if the supplier takes every possible precaution to ascertain a buyer's age. If the delivery driver hands over a crate of beer, pack of knives or anything that has an age restricted label on the package, then it comes down to the delivery driver who is breaking the law.

My wife ordered some beer for me from Amazon and when my 21 year old step son went to take delivery he was refused. Produced his college pass and his birth certificate but the guy still refused because his name was not the same as the one on the package. Luckily my wife was in her office and came out to accept it, but grateful the driver seemed to take the instructions to the letter.

I had an Amazon driver deliver a Pantry order that contained booze on my 65th birthday. He insisted on valid photo ID.

I've had that with Amazon as well. I didn't notice if the driver entered my date of birth or just notified them that it was delivered.

The other delivery I mention was via royal mail so they had no idea what was in it.

It's an area that bemuses me. Go to some shops and knives that would suit the SAS are on display. Why sell them. Kitchen knives are needed and used to stab people but where to stop. Years ago my wife was held up with a screwdriver. They caught the bloke a few weeks later. He had a new idea so in this case easy to find when he tried the same thing elsewhere.

;) My wife didn't let him see what was in her purse, gave him a £5 and said all she had got. I went out looking for the ar#ehole but he had gone so just called the police who came pretty promptly.

if you need to tick a box to complete an order thats no problem
i went for a 25% off first order
i had to click on the marketing preferences share details so did so
completed order
got conformation off delivery
into marketing preferences and unticked box as is your legal
the box was ticked for perhaps 5 mins

Sponsored Links
Back