Self build help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started building a block built garden room. 6m x 3.8. I am struggling to find the correct lintel which needs to be a low profile. I have the door opening of 2.4m. I need to keep my build under 2.5m and to top of door from floor level will be 2201mm. I am having a step up to room to keep it above ground level and the door measurement is 2030mm. Can anyone point me in right directions for lintels? Also beam sizes, i was going to put 220mm beams in but might need to try smaller if pos to keep roof down.

Sponsored Links
You probably need a structural steel, maybe unequal angle, rectangular hollow section, universal beam or C section. You might get away with 100mm or 120mm high - I'm guessing though.

You could notch the roof joists over the lintel so it goes into the roof a bit.

Concrete lintels are poor at point loads and you will have roof joists above.

If your joist span is 3.6m maybe you could get away with 145 x 47 joists at 400 centres gives a span of 3.2m or 147 x 47 gives a span of 3.75m

Obv if your build is cavity construction the span is less

Sponsored Links
I will be needing to put a wooden wall plate round which will be 50mm to attach the beams to will i not? So in theory that would have to sit on the lintel then the joists on that. But am really tight on space. My roof won’t have that much load, as doing 18mm osb then rubber roof

That is the lintel, so the wall plate sits inside the lintel. The lintel sits directly on to top of the the blocks. If you only have a single skin wall, just build a double width pier to support the lintel.

167mm height though?? So i would just sit the wall plate then the joists on the back half of the lintel. What happens to the front part? I will get a drawing of my build up.

167mm height though?? So i would just sit the wall plate then the joists on the back half of the lintel. What happens to the front part? I will get a drawing of my build up.
You could notch out the joists over the lintel so your joists run over the block work to create an overhang for a soffit. You would need a timber plate in the lintel to support the joists.

You will need insulation over any metal on the inside or you will get condensation

Have a look at your external ground levels. Unless you're building off a bowling green you should be able to find 100mm somewhere.

You could notch out the joists over the lintel so your joists run over the block work to create an overhang for a soffit. You would need a timber plate in the lintel to support the joists.

You will need insulation over any metal on the inside or you will get condensation

I will be framing the internal with wood with an air gap between the block and wood, will have insulation and vapour barrier and have weep vents in block work so air can circulate round and will be a cold roof.

Something like that?

Attachments

• D382A0B1-E076-41CB-AA85-73B7DF5285EF.jpeg
    D382A0B1-E076-41CB-AA85-73B7DF5285EF.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 78

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back