Self Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone been involved in a Self Build? I'm thinking about buying some land and doing a Self Build. If anyone can give me some advice please feel free to do so. Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi, has anyone been involved in a Self Build? I'm thinking about buying some land and doing a Self Build. If anyone can give me some advice please feel free to do so. Thanks Dave

What ever you think it is going to cost, double it straight away.

Expect the services, i.e. gas, electric, water and sewer connections to be extortionate.

However long you think it may take treble it.

Don't give in to the planners to easily.

Whatever you finally agree with the planners, stick to it religiously or re-submit.

Familiarise yourself with building control regulations.

expect it to rain in summer, expect it to rain in autumn, expect it to rain in spring, expect it to snow in the winter. expect everything to turn to a sea of mud. Expect to live in a leaking caravan. Just as you are getting used to all that, expect your wife to become pregnant! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have self built...literally from turning the first sod to the last ridge tile, the only things I did not do myself was the plumbing and electrics, other than that every last thing I did with my own hands, be prepared to work incredibly hard, have many sleepless nights and when you finally finish you will tell yourself you will never ever ever put yourself through that again....chances are after a year you will be itching to do it all again only better.
One piece of advise I would give is to use direct labour if you are not doing it yourself rather than a contractor for the lot, so long as you have a good grasp of the building process you will save a fortune.

However long you think it may take treble it.

Amen to that! I'm just coming to the end of a DIY loft conversion. We started while my wife was pregnant with our second child and I thought I stood a good chance of getting it done before the little one arrived. She had her first birthday in July and we're only just finishing off!! To be fair though, i could have dedicated more time to it and got it done quicker but other things crop up. Definately took longer than we expected though.

It's been real hard work, and been harder emotionally than we expected but i would encorouge anyone to try it if you've got the desire to do so. I'd definately do it again, but probably not work on a house we were living in at the same time!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back