Selmar Star Battery Chargers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I googled Selmar 'Star' battery chargers, for the possibility of spares, and found myself looking at a post on this site about the lack/loss/replacement of instructions originally supplied with the charger when new. Mine was in the 1970's or 80's.

All is not lost. I still have my set of instructions, just. Tatty and grubby, but readable. Get in touch if interested. My 'Star' has given 30 years' faithful service, and is about to get a new rectifier and new wiring. It's as good as ever, and worth the £10 or so it cost back then!!

Sponsored Links
Dear Andy,
I've just acquired a Selmar 'Star' and was wondering if you would mind sharing your instruction booklet please mate?...

Hope to hear from you soon,

Slàinte mhath.

K

'Proper' chargers they were with a nice heavy mains transformer, not like the modern 'smart chargers' I haven't found one that works properly yet.

Peter

My own sentiments exactly Peter!
Unfortunately we have to go down the smart charge route as batteries need such a smoothed charge now.
Rumour.....leave a 'standard' charger connected and switched on to your Audi TT. Next, turn the car ignition on, and observe the visual display dashboard fizzle in front of your very eyes :eek: Oh great!
It makes you wonder how much alternators have come on, since the venerable Lucas ACR.
Regards
John :)

Sponsored Links
Audi TT displays are unreliable anyhow, aren't they? I found an old Halfords battery charger in the roof space of my garage when I moved here 24 years ago. It's still working, better than my so-called intelligent charger which thinks every battery is fully charged after about 5 mins.

Guys, I wonder if you can help?... I plugged my car battery into my Selmer 'Star' yesterday to charge. The charger was a gift from a friend and I haven't used this type before,hence why i was trying to track down the instructions.

The guage reads 1-2-3-4-5. when I plugged it in it the needle sat at 3 and after a nights charge it sits at 2.

Does anyone know what this means? Is the battery charging?... I, ignorantly, presumed the needle would go to 4 then to 5?...

'Proper' chargers they were with a nice heavy mains transformer,

I once had a "PROPER" charger. 20 amps continuous, 40 for a few minutes, and by pressing a button that clunked a contactor 300 amps for long enough to start an engine.

Huge selenium rectifier.

Problem was it large and heavy to carry around

Guys, I wonder if you can help?... I plugged my car battery into my Selmer 'Star' yesterday to charge. The charger was a gift from a friend and I haven't used this type before,hence why i was trying to track down the instructions.

The guage reads 1-2-3-4-5. when I plugged it in it the needle sat at 3 and after a nights charge it sits at 2.

Does anyone know what this means? Is the battery charging?... I, ignorantly, presumed the needle would go to 4 then to 5?...
Keith, this the current that your battery is accepting in amps.....once you switch on, the current input is high, towards the 5. As the battery charges, it's current demand becomes less so the needle starts to fall. It won't go to zero because of the losses generated by the battery heating, and it's usual to remain at about 1 amp.

Audi TT displays are unreliable anyhow, aren't they? I found an old Halfords battery charger in the roof space of my garage when I moved here 24 years ago. It's still working, better than my so-called intelligent charger which thinks every battery is fully charged after about 5 mins.
It seemed that many of the electrical systems would go haywire if the battery voltage was down but this would generally self correct.
Unfortunately it seems to be dashboards that are going AWOL instead and that ain't cheap :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back