Sense check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just had dining/kitchen knock through.

guy is a semi mate I’ve known for a while.

taking the cost of the RSJ aside:

being charged £500 a day for 2 guys

but, they were starting at 10/11 and going about 3 to 3.30

it was close to Xmas and it’s REALLY hard getting builders quickly.

so the total cost is going to be

£3,100 + skip cost (including cost of materials including RSJ)

to:

knock through wall (2.5M gap)
Board up doorway and plaster wall both sides (about 4m2 each side)
Box in and plaster the steel and surrounding walls.
Also said he will do some other bits of rendering outside/ patching things up etc.

to be fair, in terms of the work done it doesn’t seem too extortionate (live in the south)

I’m just getting my knickers in a twist about paying day rates and getting what I would say are just over a half days work - or do builders work shorter days as it’s heavy work/include the time spent picking up materials?

am I being picky or am I getting taken for a ride?

Like I say, if this was quoted as a fixed fee I would take it, but £500 for 2 guys working 4 hours(ish) just seems like easy money

my old man says you can only do one job a day generally and it’s not always a full 7 hours but you need things to dry etc so that’s how it goes, but my wife thinks a full day charge = 7 hours work.

Sponsored Links
Like I say, if this was quoted as a fixed fee I would take it, but £500 for 2 guys working 4 hours(ish) just seems like easy money
sounds about right. maybe a couple hundred over the top . As a day rate it’s extortion.
overall price sounds ok though. Would you rather they picked up materials in their own time and sat around watching cement dry?
The wife could always get them to do some ironing.:LOL:

You don't pay a full day rate for half a day's work.
Your old man's analogy it's wrong.

However you can't have our both ways - if you think the total price is OK, then you can't moan about the daily labour rate.

It's all moot now anyway, as the price agreed and work is done :rolleyes:

Never get people to work on daily rate, unless they're labouring for yourself.
A comprehensive quote cuts off this frustrating problem.

Sponsored Links
Surely a day rate has to be 7 hours min. Did they have far to travel each day? Did they pick up materials each day? Did they do 3 part days then? X 2

Surely a day rate has to be 7 hours min. Did they have far to travel each day? Did they pick up materials each day? Did they do 3 part days then? X 2
He was given a price for the job what can't you understand?

pointless thread really . He said he’s happy with the overall cost . Answering his own question .

This sounds similar to when we had our extension brickwork done and my wife couldn't get her head round it.

If you agree a price and a deadline with a tradesman then it's upto him how he delivers the job be it 10 hour days or 2 hour days, you don't pay them to tell them how to do the job, just to deliver the job you agreed.

If you agree a day rate, then you agree the terms of that day rate, ie. How many hours your expecting, who's responsible for running around for materials and supplies etc. Normally day rates don't have a finished deadline, the job will be finished when it's finished but the trade should keep to the agreed working pattern and if they don't you don't pay them.

I used to get almost weekly earache from the wife during our build if the builder had gone before she was home at 5pm or that he didn't work most Friday afternoons as he'd use them for doing his books and quoting other jobs, end of the day he delivered the job within the time frame we agreed, the price ran over but he was totally open about it and given the material prices rises in the last 24 months it wasn't a surprise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back