Separate supply or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of converting a redundant farm building into 3 B&B rooms (if the planners ever say yes). The building is next to my house and about 20 metres from where the supply enters the house and consumer unit. Can I run a supply from the CU or will I need a separate one from the elctricity company? I will be getting a sparky to do the job. Thanks

Sponsored Links
is each room en suite, i.e going to have a shower? what supply do you already have?

if just a normal 100A single phase supply then i think you will be struggling and will almost certainly need a new supply from the electricity board.

get your cheque book out :eek:

I'm off to buy a new car. What sort should I get?

We really need a lot more info before we can even try and answer your question

I would think investing in a seperate supply would be worthwhile now in case it were sold seperately in the unknown future.(but I suppose it is really down to whether or not your other plan is feasible or not) & the costs.

Sponsored Links
Each room will be en-suite with a shower but I am hoping to get some kind of "instant" water heating system to supply all three rooms. Basically I think I need 2 double sockets and 2 lights in each one as well as the supply to control the water heater which will probably have to be oil or calor gas, I am still investigating. The external combi boiler for the house can supply c/h. I am assuming that we have a standard supply to the house. I am waiting for the lecky company to ring back. :(

Lets say he has to get a new supply from the suppliers, how much would that roughly cost? does anyone know?

if you want to heat water with elec and not gas or oil, then i think 2 cylinders with 3kw heatehr in each would do, atleast this would draw too much if you only got a 100a supply.

Electric company rang me back and said they would probably run an extra wire so the house would be 2 phase. The pole is about 10-12 feet from the meter, cost in the region of £300. Sparky told me I need 25mm swa to supply the new build, it's a 30metre run now I've measured properly. :eek: That cost nearly as much as the work by the lecky board!

Just got your post rssteve. Presumably now I will have all th ecapacity I need to do anything, given the latest oil prices _ we haven't got gas.

Electric company rang me back and said they would probably run an extra wire so the house would be 2 phase. The pole is about 10-12 feet from the meter, cost in the region of £300.

If that is the full cost they've quoted for the supply/installation then I'd consider yourself lucky and take them up on the quote before it expires!

Are you sure the DNO haven't missed a nought or two off the end of that price?

I'd bite their both their hands off!!

Last supply we had put in cost around £15,000 :eek: (100A TP)

Electric company rang me back and said they would probably run an extra wire so the house would be 2 phase.
2-phase?
dunno.gif

Or 3-wire single phase?

Ah, That was the answer I got when I asked for a rough estimate and I was speaking to surveyor bod. He definitely said 3 phase and I thought, 2 phase. I didn't know there was such a thing as that. Perhaps he was dumbing the technical terms down for a layman. I still need to go through their office to register a job and get a written price. What is SP&N please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back