Servicing a boiler, How Long?

• Thread starter charliechaplinspants
  • Start date
Bbu takes an hour for me, new condensing boiler can take 20mins and that is following the mi, a lot of mi now state ' check co2 with analyser, clean out condense trap and check gas rat, put the cover back on and **** off, so 20mins tops. To ask how long a boiler should take is a very open question as the above shows, I usually leave an hour for every boiller service to cover myself but most especially the new condensing boilers can take 40mins tops including tea and getting your money

Sponsored Links
Unless the company that won the bid only uses long term employees, it really does not matter what the council pay them.

Fortunately, that's not the case for us. We are a small association in the shires and we use a local company. I know each and every one of our gas engineers, and they've been with that contractor for at least five years and some more than that.

And what is this VISUAL on a cooker?

If it is part of the flat, it MUST have a complete inspection and service if not fully working to spec. If it belongs to the tenant, it has nothing to do with the council.

We don't own cookers; therefore, our engineers do a quick visual on the cooker. Despite the fact that it's not a landlord's appliance, engineers still have a duty care to prevent the use of unsafe appliances.

Hence they look for sufficient ventilation, obvious signs of distress, anchorage, clearances, evidence of FFDs in multi-dwelling buildings, etc. They will take action to Unsafe Situations or inform the tenant of any NCS.

We don't own cookers; therefore, our engineers do a quick visual on the cooker. Despite the fact that it's not a landlord's appliance, engineers still have a duty care to prevent the use of unsafe appliances.

Hence they look for sufficient ventilation, obvious signs of distress, anchorage, clearances, evidence of FFDs in multi-dwelling buildings, etc. They will take action to Unsafe Situations or inform the tenant of any NCS.

What do you do if the tenant has fitted a new cooker in a flat and has chosen the cheap one with no FFD ?

I refused to fit a hob in a flat because it had no FFD. Three weeks later I was called to fix the boiler and found the owner's father had just fitted the hob himself. Had I fitted it myself I would have not wasted the visit and would have collected the £55 fee. At least he did not fit it using the hose he thought should been used.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What do you do if the tenant has fitted a new cooker in a flat and has chosen the cheap one with no FFD ?

I refused to fit a hob in a flat because it had no FFD.

So is it illegal to fit a hob with no FFD? if it is why are they being sold? I`m glad to see that you no longer believe that this post belongs in the CC. :D ;)

Class it as NCS and advise the tenant accordingly, unless a risk assessment proves the need for elevation -- for example an elderly tenant with dementia or other multiple NCS.

Interestingly enough, we've had a few tenants asking for advice on purchasing cookers because Currys and Comet wouldn't sell them a gas cooker! No mention of FFDs, just, "No madam, you can't have a gas cooker in flats."

I thought that it was only multiple at risk situations, could lead to Immediately Dangerous? Shows how much I know. :rolleyes:

if you live in a flat and blow it up youll most likely blow at least 2 more up, i n a house you may only blow you up. Its a rule that has been made, dont fight it just get on with it

In that case, if you live in a terraced house then you may take next door with you, sounds like a bit of a ridiculous regulation. Maybe the Regs should state that only people living in detached homes, probably with x amount of acreage should fit hobs with no FFD. :LOL:

To be fair, Agile, you asked what would happen if our engineers encountered a new cooker installed in a flat without a FFDs. Hence the answer of NCS.

If it`s illegal, shouldn`t it be classed as ID, Riddored then disconnected? So you can have a gas cooker with no FSD in a flat but you cannot have a gas hob without a FSD in a flat. That can`t be right can it. :eek:

It's cookers and hobs in flats that need a FFD. The current guidance is that they are NCS even if fitted 2 hours earlier. I wouldn't go as far as saying ID but possibly AR.

It's a joke really, legislation is put in place and then undermined by official guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back