Setting up a wireless connection correctly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to set up a wireless connection for my folks laptop (XP Pro). They have a Netgear DG834G router and their previous connection was via a Speedtouch modem.

I have not tried doing this previously so have a couple of questions:

1) Should the installation be attempted based on instructions from the accompanying router disc or by using the XP wizard?
2) Upon unpacking the router and connecting (phone and AC sockets) the wireless light is not coming on.

Any tips regarding these points and indeed any further advice would be much appreciated. ;)

Sponsored Links
First of all you need to get the router connected by a cable route. If you got the router from an ISP then this will most likely be configured. However i do not think you have. Therefore you will need some information from the isp. username (e.g [email protected]) etc and a password. Also you will need to find out any DNS server entries and any other info for configuring the router yourself - call the isp for this or check there website for FAQ etc. Once you have this info you should be able to configure the router by using the wizard from the disk or typing \\192.168.0.1 in internet explorer. This will take you to the router admin page. again this will need a password and user name - should be in the box. (Only possible if the router is connected and your laptop or pc is also connected to the router) Wireless might be off so enable this and follow the set up etc.

Thanks guys. Sorry about getting back late but really have been having a few probs. :(

Sam: Well that’s the first omission: failing to state that the router did come from the ISP. It seems to be configured correctly because I have been able to go through all of the setup steps seemingly OK As you point out (following these steps) to make the wireless connection, I type //192.168.0.1, a dialog box appears requiring a logon id and password. Tapping the arrow in the logon id box gives a choice of two email addressess – though neither of these are the one that is registered with the ISP. I think I have input an incorrect ID here because it will not accept this or any subsequent entry – a no authorisation message is issued. Also I am unable to get rid of the box and the screen locks up. The START box is then made inaccessible so I have to restart the machine. Immediately after boot-up a message appears There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

Pip: Thanks for the links. I have the Microsoft link details and will be using this to establish the WPA-PSK security, er hopefully. The thinkbroadband is useful also.

Also once connected via the router (cabled) the connection speed is about half that as when connected via the modem. I will try to the ISP to give some support. Thanks a lot, though

Sponsored Links
I changed from Speedtouch to a router (wired desktop 2 wireless laptops ).. sloow.
BT say there will be a period of adjustment???

I found this place a gold mine http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Look at --
SpeedNet.jpg

SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer -- note any suggestions.

Used SG TCP Optimizer to set values.. In my case 'optimal values' with TCP recieve window set to a suggested 513920 everything runs well.
My ISP profile is 6200 kb/s download, I get very near, very often.
:cool:

That SpreddGuide link looks extremely useful. Thanks again, Pip. I should point out our connection speed (in darkest Suffolk) is an excrable 512kbps - through the router 224kbps! :eek: This, though, is not an ISP issue , more BT's p*sspoor archaic stranded copper wire setup. Your 6,200 kbps is stonking by comparison, even more than my London speed (about 4 - 5 mbs). ;)

chainsaw man, I have the same router. the dialogue box that appears is the ROUTER LOGON, nothing to do with your ISP or email address. Look under the router, it might have the details printed there to logon. Mine is "admin" and "password" for the two fields respectively.

Once you log on, change it ;)

Then once into the router's settings page, set up your net connection and wireless settings. ;)

Hi, just a thought, have you uninstalled any old software you may have installed with your old system? this may be causing conflicts, try uninstalling what you had and now have and then reinstalling your new software...Al

Steve: Good call – excuse the obtuseness – that’s got me a bit further. I’d actually reset the Netgear logon and password (from “admin” and “password”) without twigging that this was required by the router logon. :oops:

Pip: Very interesting items re passwords; I’ll pursue these in more detail later. Given that there are so many passwords that we are expected to commit to memory these days I don’t think it actually is over the top. What do you think of this free tool that I noticed in the last edition of Computer Active?

Pompeyal: I have not yet uninstalled the old connection software. In fact, I was hoping that this would not be necessary, as if any probs arise once I have this setup correctly I would like my folks to be able to reconnect using the old modem with a minimum of hassle. Presumably this is realistic?

At this stage all the correct lights on the router seem to be burning but the Wireless Network Connection on the taskbar is still shown as not connected. When I click on my Network Connections I get this screen.

Digital_Buttplug

When clicking on any of the related topics the machine hangs up and I have to reboot. Weird.

Sorry that I am a bit slow in responding but in order that I can check out my various attempts to sertup the "wireless" I have to remain cabled. The ethernet and cable from router are sufficiently short to prevent acomfortable seating arrangement. ;)

Pip: Very interesting items re passwords; I’ll pursue these in more detail later. Given that there are so many passwords that we are expected to commit to memory these days I don’t think it actually is over the top. What do you think of this free tool that I noticed in the last edition of Computer Active?...

Bit late getting back, I will have a play with 'Keeppass' ;)

Probably no help at all, refers to BT homeHub but may have some parallels. ( maybe useful to the odd googler)
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html

----------------------------------------------------------
At your leisure .. This MAY be the coming thing ' Enabling one click secure login to online services.'
http://www.yubico.com/home/index/
Seems a good idea, time will tell.

:D

Just returned from our hols, hence the belated response.

Had to abandon the wireless connection for the folks in the end but to be resumed on my next visit. Despite the anomalies described above I wonder if their wireless card might have packed up? The only reason I ask is that the wireless networks found icon on the taskbar is never on. Whereas it is always burning its balls off on my machine. Same with Mrs Chainsaw’s.

Pip: As usual, very good links. Did you check out Peekass, as mentioned? Worth installing?

Just returned from our hols, hence the belated response.

Had to abandon the wireless connection for the folks in the end but to be resumed on my next visit. Despite the anomalies described above I wonder if their wireless card might have packed up? The only reason I ask is that the wireless networks found icon on the taskbar is never on. Whereas it is always burning its balls off on my machine. Same with Mrs Chainsaw’s.

Pip: As usual, very good links. Did you check out Peekass, as mentioned? Worth installing?

Sorry matey, missed this - having a go - could take some time -
Just been setting up a little 10" Advent netbook - Little belter so far !! - KeePass could well be useful on the thing... I'll report back on how it was for the diy'er...
:D

Sponsored Links
Back