Shaving Light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our shaving light broke a while back and iv been trying to replace it. When i removed the old one it obviously had the Live and Neutral wires and the earth (which was attached to the fiting with a screw)
Having bought the new light i screwed the live and neutral wires in to the terminal block but was instructed to screw the earth wire into a seperate terminal block and cover with insulation tape!
Having done all this i dont seem to be having any luck still!
Any ideas were might be going wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it doesn't say sleeving? If you only have 3 wires then there is little you can do wrong, do you have a 240v supply accross the L&N terminals (test with a voltmeter set to a range greater than 240v AC)? If it is in a bathroom the unit should have a safety isolation transformer built in.

Spark123 said:
Are you sure it doesn't say sleeving? If you only have 3 wires then there is little you can do wrong, do you have a 240v supply accross the L&N terminals (test with a voltmeter set to a range greater than 240v AC)? If it is in a bathroom the unit should have a safety isolation transformer built in.

I dont have a voltmeter to hand so cant check unfortuntley, thats what i thought with three wires cant really do to much wrong!
The instructions say to 'connect the live and neutral wires from the wall to the terminal block which already have the live and neutral wires from the light. Then the earth wires from the house should be wired together within a terminal block and wrapped in insulation tape?

Instructions that say things like that don't inspire much confidence!! You'll need a voltmeter to be able to do much more btw.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Instructions that say things like that don't inspire much confidence!! You'll need a voltmeter to be able to do much more btw.

Ok, well thanks for your help ill invest in one tomorrow! I was told to just wrap it into insulation tape and not worry bout the terminal block!

If your new light has a shade or diffuser which you haven’t fitted when testing it then fit it and try again as some shaver lights have a little micro switch that cuts the power when the shade/diffuser is removed. If it doesn’t work with that fitted then perhaps the bulb is dud or the supply is faulty, it could be fed by an fcu in the attic or from a nearby bedroom socket and the fuse in that may have blown.

Hope you manage to get it working.

Dan

I presume the fitting is double insulated.

Can you see this symbol
dinsulated.jpg
any where on the fitting?

If so an earth connection is not required, and it is correct to put it in a seperate connector.

dannyboi2003 said:
If your new light has a shade or diffuser which you haven’t fitted when testing it then fit it and try again as some shaver lights have a little micro switch that cuts the power when the shade/diffuser is removed. If it doesn’t work with that fitted then perhaps the bulb is dud or the supply is faulty, it could be fed by an fcu in the attic or from a nearby bedroom socket and the fuse in that may have blown.

Hope you manage to get it working.

Dan

Yeah, I'd go with the cover not on properly.

As embarassing as it is to admit it!
Yeah the cover wasnt on, i persumed it would just work with or without, but looking at it closely you can see the gold clips behing were you clip the cover on!

All working fine now thanks, thanks for all your help.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back